Heave to on a 33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Out on a great day today. I have tried the last few times out today included to heave the boat over for lunch or a swim. I have tried to back fill the genny without success. Today I just reelled it in and used the main off center and wheel hard over. Not very windy today. The manoeuver worked fairly well. Other 33 owners what sail set do you use when you heave to?

G

Gregg

Heave to

Easy - tack the boat through the wind, without releasing the jib sheet. As the bow passes through the wind the jib will become backwinded. If the main is up, ease the mainsheet so the boom lies to the lee side of the boat, and turn the wheel hard to the wind and lock it. That's it. The boat will try to head up in the direction of the rudder, and the backwinded jib will push the bow off again, stopping forward motion. Don't swim too far, because heaving to doesn't completely stop the boat from moving.

J

Joseph Rheubeck

Heaving-to on an 81 H33

We have had our 81 H-33 hove-to a few times. The boat goes into "Park" quite nicely with full main and full genoa. On our previous baot we were hove-to in Fishers Island Sound (discussing the finer points of a sandwich and a glass of wine) and several sailboats came by to see if we needed help. I guess this manuver doesn't get seen too often anymore.

Jun 2, 2004
- - long island,ny
Gregg

How's the south shore sailing going,have you done much sailing with this weather lately. I have been lucky been getting days off during the week and working weeekends,wish I was off yesterday instead of today. nick

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Is the genny rolled up

I don't like to see the genny or the line, to a lesser extent, laying on the stays. Do you roll the genny up some or leave it full?

F

Frank

We have a 'new' H33 and, on several occasssions, have tried unsuccessfully the technique described above by Gregg ie tack the boat, swing the rudder etc. I've used this technique before and it works well but I am finding a strong tendency is to go to leeward. It appears a bit more sail trimming is needed that what I've experienced on other boats.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Thanks, Frank

you are experiencing the same problem I am having. The boat does not hold steering into the wind - it turns and tries to change tack. As I said earlier I was somewhat successful using the main alone.

F

Franklin

Too much speed?

You mean your on a port tack and tack to a starboard tack but not letting go of the starboard jib sheet and she tries to go back to the port tack? If so, what's your speed? Sounds like your getting too much speed and that's making the rudder too effective causing the turn.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
To much Genny

Accomplished the Heave-to maneuver last night and found that with the full genny up the boat would not turn more than 90 degrees to the wind. In other words full on the beam and fairly uncomfortable. I believe this is because of the fin keel. Older full keel boats hove-to much better. By furling the genny the boat pointed up and seemed to do better. At least with this boat using a small jib/furled genny or no fore-sail may be the best approch. Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.