• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Heat exchanger zinc anode.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Wish everyone's having a fantastic season. My boat came with an Atomic 4, from posts online regarding zinc anodes i've learned that it is an inexpensive but necessary part, similar to spark plugs. Unfortunately engine diagram in manual doesn't show a heat exchanger nor location of the zinc anode. The PO killed himself about 6 wks ago, having failed to keep a log on engine has made me anxious because i can't find the zinc anode to replace and don't know if it is better to not use engine for rest of season. Why doesn't the manual show a heat exchanger and location of zinc anode?

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Most small engines have a zinc in the raw water side of the heat exchanger attached to the engine. Look there if there is one. I have no experience with gas atomics but diesels have antifreeze in the block and raw water in the heat exchanger hence the zinc is placed there.

JRR

May 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Minneford YC
Aye, it appears this block doesn't have a heat exchanger according to diagrams, i'm less anxious now. i like that i don't have that part to be co concerned with. Thanks for links, now have to figure out how to change oil whilst in slip. The boat also doesn't have zincs on rudder, haven't looked at shaft but will dive and check shaft zinc anode. Where exactly is it located on shaft? Can't find a diagram off bottom of boat detailing parts.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser moored EVERETT WA
Where exactly is it located on shaft?
Glad that the info was provided to reduce your concern about the motor zinc. I hesitated to respond when I learned that "Unfortunately engine diagram in manual doesn't show a heat exchanger nor location of the zinc anode. The PO killed himself about 6 wks ago" It worried me that you might be next.

The shaft will become evident as soon as you go beneath the waves. It will exit the hull between the keel and the rudder. It may or may not have a strut between the exit point on the hull and the prop. You put a zinc (choose one that matches the shaft size) in the open space along the shaft. You can put more than one if space allows.

My shaft is likely different than yours. This image will give you a little help. My shaft comes out of the hull at the back of the keel. The zinc is that silver shiny thing between the keel and the prop.
1631559657342.jpeg

Note the space between the zinc and the shaft thru the keel. There is a bearing in the keel that the shaft passes through that bearing is water cooled. You need a little space for the water to cool the bearing.