Head Ache 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Fisher

Tried the ask an owner forum. It was suggested I come here. I recently purchased a 1983 Catalina 27. The head quite working after one day of use. I suspected the holding tank was full and pumped out. I don't know how often the former owner used the head. The boat is in excellent condition. I suspect I need to rebuild or replace the head. I looks to be the original installed by Catalina. I do not know the manufacturer.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Need more info

You just said "quit working"...you didn't say what quit working, or what the symptoms were...doesn't bring flush water in? doesn't push anything out? Resistance/backpressure when you pump? It could be something very minor...it could be something that would make more sense to replace the toilet (it IS 16 years old) than repair. Can you give me a bit more detail?

B

Bob Fisher

Head Ache 2 more info

Peggy: so sorry. the head will not pump water in or out. I have tried the dry side and the flush. I feel no resistence when the I pump up or down. I hope this helps. If I must replace and I suspect this will be the case which model will fit with the least amount of refit. thanks, Bob Fisher

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Sounds like the pump seals have failed.

In all piston/cylinder toilet pumps, there are rubber seals around the piston rod that are supposed to fit tightly against the cylinder wall, creating the "vacuum" needed for the pump to pull flush water in and push bowl contents out. Seals--and all the other rubber parts--wear out. They dry out and become brittle between weekend uses, and unless replaced fairly regularly they can crack and crumble. However, the seals aren't the only thing that wears...their friction against the cylinder wall wears it too--and not evenly...dry brittle seals can score the wall...and there comes a time when rebuilding can't return a pump to original specs.. On most toilets, that happens after about 7-8 years. Since--for some reason I'll never understand--99% of boat owners would rather take a toilet apart when something fails and the bowl is full than rebuild as preventive maintenance when it's clean and dry, odds are that your toilet hasn't been rebuilt in years, if ever. It's 16 years old, average price of a rebuild kit--which may not solve your problem--is about $50...and it's a whole lot easier to replace than rebuild. That's what I'd do. You aren't likely to find a toilet--even the same brand--that will fit a 16 year old toilet's bolt patterns in the floor...manufacturers keep improving and/or redesigning for more contemporary styling. So expect to do a little sole refinishing no matter what you buy, and base your purchase decision on which toilet you like the best, and fits in your head. For under $150 you can replace with several comparable piston/cylinder pump toilets. However, for a little more, the Raritan Cricket is a diaphragm pump toilet that I recommend highly...diaphragm pumps are far more efficient and there aren't any moving parts to fail in a diaphragm, nor any of those pesky pump shaft seals. Check it out on the Raritan website at www.raritaneng.com.

B

Bob Fisher

Thank You

Peggy: I appreciate your response. I will replace the head with your suggestion. Thank you, Bob Fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.