Hatch problems - Bavaria Ocean 40 CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
We just purchased a 2001 Bavaria Ocean 40 CC. The Rutgerson hatches on the deck are leaking. It appears the lenses have separated from the original seal and I haven't figured out what to use to reseal them. It also looks like the rubber gasket's need replacement. Does anyone have suggestions how to fix the glass to frame bond? Is there any source of replacement gaskets?

Thank you,
Frank

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
GE makes a silicone that some aluminum hatch manufactures use to attach the lexan to the aluminum frame. They also treat the aluminum frame with this pink solution (watery) that I cannot recall the name or number designation. This pink stuff aids the silicone to adhere to the aluminum. The trouble is, the pink stuff is expensive and one boat owner probably won't want to pay the price to fix one or two ports
I would think you could get the gasket material from Rutgerson or by contacting Bavaria USA in Annapolis, Md. They or a Bavaria dealer could order it for you. Or you can go to Bomar and see if they have some gasket material that might work. I think West Marine sells Bomar gasket material. There are some other gasket materials available from companies like Taco, etc. which are readily available in the U.S. if they are the right shape, size, etc. Actually Bavaria U.S.A. in Annapolis is stocking a lot more items that turn over more frequently, but getting parts for any Bavaria is not a problem.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Thanks Bill - I just remembered GE Silpruf which I've used for several years on stainless chainplates (it sticks great to stainless) is actually a professional glassiers caulking. IT's primary use from what I'm told is sealing and adhering glass on commercial buildings. This stuff is great and remains flexible and has great tenacity for sticking. Last night I read an article by Don Casey in Sail Magazine and when he mentioned Silpruf to reseal leaking lenses it came back to me. It's not the easiest product to find but a number of marine distributors are stocking the stuff these days. I'm going to pull the leaking hatches off one by one seal them and work on them at home where I can slice out the lenses. I'll contact Bavaria US in MD for the gasket material.

Rugerson was no help at all in asking for where I could purchase their products or parts. I gave up on them as many people seem to have done the same.

Thanks for the suggestions.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Just a quick update. One hatch done. I cut the lexan glass out of the frame. it's a pretty thick sheet of lexan. I cleaned and sanded the edges of of the lexan and used a nylon wheel on a drill to take off the remaining bedding material. I finished it off with a dremil drill with a small brass brush wheel. Then masked off the edges and gooped it up with GE Silpruf. It's supposed to be a structural silicone used for gazing purposes. Looks ok and it's back on the boat. Let's see if it's waterproof and how long it lasts. Now I'm doing the other side.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Just a quick update for anyone looking back on this post for help. Although the rebedding of the acrylic with GE silpruf worked for the smaller Rutgerson hatches I decided to replace the 3 larger 20x20 inch hatches with new Lewmar Ocean 60 hatches. I want to let anyone thinking of replacing their hatches this was a painless effort and all three hatches were completed in under 3 hours. The old ones came out effortlessly. I cleaned the area under the hatch with a razor blade and some acetone. Then rebedded with 3M 4200 sealant and put the new Lewmar slipped into the hole with no modification. Loving the new sleek look and finally no leaks!

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
did you have any luck with Bavaria USA on buying replacements? Also we have similar boats....do you have those annoying inner porthole plastic frames?

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
I refinished the plastic trim rings (sand with 220 grit and then painted them an aluminum color). They actually came out nice - they look like metal. The Rutgerson port seals are the problem for me. They all leak to some extent. I control the dripping but haven't gotten them totally water tight yet (key word...yet). For now when I leave the boat I leave rags under the windows for the few drops that fall. It's not that bad. I started looking into replacement ports but the new found metal stainless windows that I installed on my last boat are a custom order in this size...and my eyes opened wide when I calculated the cost. they were excellent ports but a little on the high $$ side for this boat. I'm still researching options. Let me know if you come across any ideas. I might have to order replacement rubber seals but not sure the process on these ports.

The new lewmar 60 hatches are great. Sealed up water tight even in a storm. Last month I was aboard when the winds were topping 40kts with driving rain...they were bone dry. The way they should be.

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
i have been lucky so far with no leaks on ports or hatches but sounds like that is on its way so this is very helpful. how much do you estimate for the custom ports (ballpark)?

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
The new found metal ports (NFM) in the custom sizes below are (Each Port) ouch
6x20 Stainless $575.95 (as listed on their web site). I didn't call looking for discounts.
6x26Stainless $649.95
As opposed to the standard 5x12 ports on many boats at about $200 each port.

I installed 9 of these before and they were top notch. I will say my order took a number of months longer than promised to receive my order. But the product was worth the wait. The price per port doesn't make sense for me. I'll keep looking to replace the gaskets (assuming this will help). The gasket looks like it glued into a groove on the window pane itself on the Rugersen port. Does any have experience with replacing the rubber gasket on Rugersen ports?

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
for reference I wanted to post an update as to how I fixed all the leaks in my 2001 Rutgerson ports thanks to one of my dogs. After one of my dogs decided he loved the smell of bacon sizzling down below...he broke a bunch of screens in. So I figured I'd take them off and eventually replace them. I thought they were factory installed screens but after researching I've seen a number of posts of people who installed custom screens (do it yourself) by removing the inner ring of the port and installed a bit of screen under the ring. That appears to be what happened on our boat. The problem with this home made design is the screen is sandwiched between the outer stainless edge and the rubber seal of the port glass. This evidently did not make a perfect seal (it's obvious now that I think about it). After removing the "custom" screens we no longer have any port leaks. I still have to figure how to install screens on the "outside" the port before next spring. I confirmed the water tight seals with a high pressure hose blasting the windows with a wonderful result - no dripping water inside. It was a pure pleasure and saves me a lot of $$$ by not replacing ports. The cabin top hatches needed replacement but the ports are now fine. Now time will be the final test.

Status
Not open for further replies.