Has anyone bought sails from BlueWater yachts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
I haven't used them for sails, but I have bought some hardware from them (keel bolt kits, keel cable, spreader caps). They have always been very good to deal with. I'm terrible with names, but the lady on the phone was very helpful and friendly; and the orders always came out accurately. Shipping was reasonably quick, too.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We have bought a few items from them also and were happy with the process, but went elsewhere for the sails...

http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=135278

....but their sails might be just fine.

Since sails are probably at the top of the list of important things to have on a boat I think if you are going to keep the boat spending a couple hundred more to get exactly the sails you want is a smart and economical move in the long run.

When I priced sails I found some bottom of the line sails that were maybe $150 less than what we paid for each of our sails, but didn't have the features or I felt the quality of what we ended up with. Say you have them for 10 years, then the cost of the better sails amounts to a couple hamburgers a year.

Saying all of that I didn't look at BWY sails, so I"m not saying they are bad or good, I'm just saying look at more than one place before making a decision if you haven't already done that,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
yes...

Mast raising kit...

I will be a repeat and long term customer... I like the idea of finding people you are happy with and sticking with them...

--jr

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
I have also done a fair amount of accessory hardware business with them (BWY) and have already been a repeat customer several times over. They have most all my needs met in one place and have great service. When it comes to sails I would follow Sumners advice and spend a bit more for the quality.

Nov 1, 2011
They have good prices on OEM Mac sails. Have yinz used them?
I priced a mainsail at bluewater in wash. State which is macs parts dealer. The owner told me her sails are made in barbados. Ive got a 26s and am ordering a fully battened main from fx sails. Challange5and a half oz well made in the us.probably by mexicans. Good material . 1month delivery? Anyhow, youll run into all kinds of knowitalls on this site. Dont worry. Theyre harmless. They just dont have lives,so they answer every posted question as if theyre authorities. You had the same basic question I posted concerning fx sails. Got 2or3 answers but not 1 answered the question. One response,a chronic poster and real knowitall even tried to sell me sails . And convince me hanks arr the way to go. Sociopath maybe. Answers having zero to do with the guestion. Phishing maybe. And be careful clicking onto posters links. You might wanna install Little Snitch if you continue to use this site. Its buggy for surr. Out

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
They have good prices on OEM Mac sails. Have yinz used them?
Yes I bought a main from BWY for my 1990 26 D. Got good advise from Gail at BWY to upgrade my boom end fittngs etc to accomodate the new sail. The old sail was the original Mac it had slugs missing, holes, fraying and the rope line in the leading edge has shrunk to the point the boom was hitting the pop top.

As for price and quality its in the range of the boats in this forum which cost $5,000 to $12,000 to buy. That said we can sail them as is, or enjoy rebuilding them to the extent we can afford but at least we are on the water, with a forum like this to help that has people with ideas or experience.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Anyhow, youll run into all kinds of knowitalls on this site. Dont worry. Theyre harmless. They just dont have lives,so they answer every posted question as if theyre authorities. You had the same basic question I posted concerning fx sails. Got 2or3 answers but not 1 answered the question. One response,a chronic poster and real knowitall even tried to sell me sails . And convince me hanks arr the way to go. Sociopath maybe. Answers having zero to do with the guestion. Phishing maybe. And be careful clicking onto posters links. You might wanna install Little Snitch if you continue to use this site. Its buggy for surr. Out
Would you like some cheese with that whine? :laugh:

Apr 23, 2010
Venture 2-22 Oneida Lake
Anyhow, youll run into all kinds of knowitalls on this site. Dont worry. Theyre harmless. They just dont have lives,so they answer every posted question as if theyre authorities. You had the same basic question I posted concerning fx sails. Got 2or3 answers but not 1 answered the question. One response,a chronic poster and real knowitall even tried to sell me sails . And convince me hanks arr the way to go. Sociopath maybe. Answers having zero to do with the guestion. Phishing maybe. And be careful clicking onto posters links. You might wanna install Little Snitch if you continue to use this site. Its buggy for surr. Out

Wow.

You asked that FX sails question within someone else's thread about mast raising...and you're bitter because you failed to hijack it.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Jordan Grant

Are you not the one that answered this question (I am curious how long does it take others to step the mast and rig everything up after having things stored for travel?) with the answer 4 to 5min.?

I admit that that was after setting everything up but did that include readjusting the 4 shrouds that you backed off two holes that is not necessary?

I could not recommend raising a mast in the water without side stays just incase someone comes along making a big wake while you have the mast only ten feet up.

If I trust you that I will have better leverage by attaching the lifting line eight feet closer to the pivot point then will I not have even better leverage just one foot up from the base?

This is a friendly place and we have answered a lot of questions over and over as new members come by and I can see the newbees answering questions they asked not to long ago.

Do you really think that little (light braket?) is strong enuff to lift the mast with, or even the pulpit?

Status
Not open for further replies.