HAS ANYBODY UPGRADED ENGINE MONITORING - YANMAR 3JH2E ?

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
I am upgrading my Hunter 380 to do some cruising. Currently all I have are couple of idiot lights for hi temp and low oil. I am hoping to upgrade to actually have gauges. Has anybody else done this ?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I know what you mean....I would like to have done that on my Hunter 386. Post 8 in the thread below added a temperature sender to a gauge to his Hunter 380 by installing a sensor into a plugged hole by the thermostat. Since this is a recent thread you might PM the owner. I would think you could do the same for a pressure sender with a replacement or possibly teeing into the pressure sensing port. The Yanmar 3JH2E diagram below shows the pressure sender location.

1599146672387.png

• Helpful
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Yes, I did something like that a number of years ago on my 1985 Hunter 34. I bought electric gauges (ammeter, oil pressure, voltage and water temperature). The senders for temperature and oil pressure made use of existing blocked off ports on my Yanmar 3GMF30 engine. Going with electric gauges allowed flexibility in routing the voltage controlling wires at greater distances from the engine. The ammeter goes through a shunt that my friend designed. The covers to keep the gauges weatherproof I made myself on a small lathe I have at home. Each one has a screw on lens that is sealed with silicone. So far I've had them for over 20 years and there has been no issues. I had to replace the oil sender once when it quit working. There is an adapter kit with various converter bushings that allowed me to mount the gauge pipe fitting sizes on the metric engine block. That kit is available from Amazon. Luckily I got mine at the auto parts store where I bought my gauge set. Idiot lights and audible alarms are retained.

IMGP0655.JPG
IMGP0656.JPG
IMGP0659.JPG

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Its worthwhile to get gauges but keep the lights and the alarm. We were cruising the Jersey Shore when all of a sudden the alarm buzzer went off. A quick glance at the lights pointed to an overheat condition. The gauge indicated the engine was running hotter but not at a critical temperature. Kept an eye on the gauge while we changed course for about 30 minutes to a nearby marina. The culprit was an ice bag partially blocking the clamshell and after checking the impeller and the oil we were good to go. Thought about later installing a switch to turn the buzzer off but decided against it. I can still hear it.