Hardware Rigging

May 8, 2011
Sirius 21 Home
I just bought a 21 and it needs all need hardware. Blocks, lines, cleats etc. Any detailed suggestions as to parts, sizes, brands, etc? I have no idea of the sizes of anything. Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The forum can offer their recommendation but this is what I do:

Running rigging..........attach a tag line to each line, pull through, measure and purchase it from your local on-line chandlery, then reverse the process with your tag line to install each new line. Make an inventory of each line with diameter (using a caliper), length and type based on elastic stiffness and other parameters.

Hardware............inventory each hardware (block, clutch, cleat, etc.) you want to replace with the line diameter it services then go to your local or on-line chandlery to purchase replacement ones. If you do not have the hardware then photos of what you have and a description of what you want then the forum can offer recommendations.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Should I change from a track car block and winch to a fairlead and cam cleat for my jib sheets?
I would be inclined to try what you have first to find out if it works for you. A winch makes it easy to sheet in the jib sheet without much effort in a lot of wind. A track car and block with a winch in the cockpit is what I have on my Hunter 46 and works just fine.

May 8, 2011
Sirius 21 Home
Thanks, My track car Block is no good so I can't try it out first. I have no cleat after my winch, is that a problem? Do I need one

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow 7 hours of lessons. Good for you.

Congrats on your new boat. and welcome to the SBO forum.

I like @sail sfbay 's suggestion try out what you have before you rush to change. When you were sailing during your lessons was it on your boat or the instructors boat?

Pictures help us understand what you are looking at and making judgments. It helps us help you answer your questions.

A lot of "gear" can complicate your life and bruise your pocket book.

Feb 21, 2013
I don’t have a lift line to my boom. Do I need one.
That would be a topping lift. Probably not. Suggest seeing how the running rigging works first before you add more rigging or hardware like a boom vang.