hard starting Universal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2005
- - Las Vegas, NV
Since I had my engine re-built, I have had continuing problems starting it after an absence of a few weeks. I have tried everything I can think of including new gel batteries, re-built starter and alternater. Just finished changing out oil and all filters and can't start it again. One mechanic told me to try WD 40 sprayed like starter fluid, still no start. Anybody else have this problem?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Glow plug circuit

I would suspect poor glow plug heating. This is a well known problem on Catalinas, since they routed the glow plug circuit all the way to the panel and back, and the voltage drops through the length of wire and two passes through a poor engine wiring harness connector leave little voltage at the glow plugs. You can check (if you are familiar and confortable with this kind of thing) by hot wiring the plug circuit with a heavy duty clip lead from the starter terminal. You could also go directly to the solution by installing a solenoid. I used a Ford starter solenoid, which is cheap and easily obtained.

T

Tom S

A diesel needs 3 things to start

Fuel Air and Heat. Heat is usually supplied in the form of compression of the air in the cylinders, but its helped along at the begining by glow plugs. Not all marine diesels have glow plugs, my old Yanmar didn't. Let me ask you, who did the rebuild? Are you sure the value timing is correct? Did someone mess with the fuel injectors or air/fuel system Personally I suspect a very small leak in the fuel line system which causes a problem -- or a weak fuel pump.

J

John

Glow Plug Circuit-Stu

Stu, I saw your response, but cannot open the link. If its about the glow plug circuit upgrade I would like to see it. Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John and link

John I just tried it too and it doesn't work. I noted that a link that Peggie Hall psted did not open either. Here's the URL, cut and paste it, I've disguised it with """"""s so it won't turn into a link: ""www.c34ia.org/projects/projects-glowplugs.html""" Stu

S

Steve

New Glow Plugs

I have a Universal 5411 that had been giving me a hard time starting the past season. I read up on adding the solenoid circuit and was all set to do this to help me get the old girl started. Before I did this I replaced the glow plugs thinking that it might help as well. I was a HUGE difference for my starting performance. I heat my plugs for 30 seconds and she fires to life with ease. I put all of my new wiring printouts back in the engine manual and putted out to sail. Have you ever changed plugs on a diesel? Super easy and cheap. Just unscrew the wires, back out the plugs and bring them to your Kubota dealer. They'll have the new ones in stock and they'll cost about 10 bucks a piece instead of 50 at a marine supplier. If it still doesn't help, you can always add the solenoid with the starter. That sounds pretty easy as well! Steve

Jul 12, 2005
- - Las Vegas, NV
Thanks

Thanks All: Steve, I have suspected glow plugs as an alternative culprit. Thanks for making the suggestion. I will try it out and let you know how it works for me. Tom: Who did the re-build is a nightmare! Not sure about the timing or fuel injectors or air/fuel system. Small leak in fuel system or weak fuel pump are possibilites. I'll check it out and let you know.

D

Dave Coleman

5411 Starting

You may already know this. A friend of mine didn't know you had to hold the glow plug button for 30 seconds after ignition ON before starting his engine.

C

Chris Callaghan

More on hard start diesel

Took out one of the old glow plugs today, it is crusted with black on the end. Torreson Marine says the Universal part # is 299685 and they want $63.69 EACH. (They did have a schematic that I printed out. My engine manual does not have one.) Bosan's Locker in Costa Mesa says the same part # but only $57.00 each. Yikes! The ones I took out are NGK 8423, Y-103K, 10.5V. The Napa auto parts store has NGK, but with a new part #, 6325. They are only $6.59 each. Has anybody else used these NGK plugs? The price difference seems ludacris to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.