Happy Y2K!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil and Bly

If the last millennium took us from wood hulls, oars, and slave-propulsion to Kevlar hulls, carbon fiber spars, and Yanmar Saildrive, what might the next millennium bring? One thing we know for certain: whatever the future holds, it will be chronicled, and to some degree defined, on these pages of the web. The true custodianship of sailing's future is not held by America's Cup studs or boat design stars, but by you and every other weekend cruiser, aspiring ocean passagemaker, and trailer sailor. Sitting at thousands of monitors in dozens of countries, you have a lot to say about the future of sailing... and you say it with a loud voice! Your participation on web sites and mailing lists puts you in partnership with designers, manufacturers, dealers, and retailers, in a way never possible before the internet. By sharing information freely, we have become a powerful -- and immediate -- force in sailing. One that the businesspeople of sailing have come to depend on for ideas, feedback -- and acceptance. So here's to you and the time we've shared together at our monitors. May you have a festive passage across the millenniums; we look forward to seeing you on the other side! Phil and Bly

B

Bob Knott

Happy... to you too!

Phil & Bly, Happy New Year and welcome to the next century! Sorry I won't use the "M" word till next year. Hope to meet you guys at a boat show next year! Fair Winds & Think Spring! Bob Knott S/V Serenity H380

R

Ron Hughes

Happy Y2K2U2 !

Phil, I've never posted directly to you before, but thanks for making this site happen. I had no idea that I'd be able to find friends, get, and share ideas with so many other sailors. It is one of my favorite breaks during my day to check and see who wrote what about the thing I like second best in life (you need a woman before you need a boat, I say)! Best wishes and my heartfelt thankyou! Ron Hughes Commodore, Hunter Sailing Assn. of Oregon, and skipper of the venerable H 40.5 Best Revenge.

C

carol donovan

and you passed the Y2K test!!!

Just finished testing my business applications and verfied their ability to run in the year 2000 and wanted to relax on my favorite web site - you passed the Y2K test too! Thanks again for providing all of us a wonderful place to get educated, make new friends, vent occasional frustrations, and share our interests. Hunter really does listen to the owners - we're seeing one of our recommendations delivered in new boats now. You've made this site credible - and all the participants have done a wonderful job in keeping boating the primary topic of discussion. Hope everyone is enjoying a happy and safe New Year and will be sharing all their experiences and suggestions well into the new millennium. Fair winds and calm seas - /c s/v Twilight

J

John Finch

Big "M"

Thanks Phil: Happy Y2k2U2; however, I agree with Bob on the "M" word. Mickie and I, on DOXOLOGY, hope to be spending a lot of time checking and checking into the forum throughout the coming year. Happy Safe and Healthy 2000. Fair winds and many enjoyable wind driven miles. John and Mickie

T

TJ

Y2K and an ocean lost

Happy Y2k to all, and thank you Phil for a wonderful site. Heres an intresting observation; The oceans are sinking into the earths crust at an alarming 100 million gallons a year. So hopefully in the next 1000 years we will still have an ocean. Now the other question is how many gallons come back out. Just a thought. Source is Wired Mags news bytes. Cheers TJ

T

TJ

Correction

Actually its more than that heres the actual The Japanese team, led by scientist Shigenori Maruyama, calculated that about 1.12 billion tons of water drains into the Earth's mantle each year, while just .23 billion tons moves in the opposite direction, according to an article published in the 11 September issue of New Scientist. Just a thought. It'll take a couple of million years to drain. Cheers TJ

J

Jay Hill

About the Ocean

Water sinking/soaking into the Earth's Crust? Good thing we have global warming to melt the ice caps and keep the oceans full, huh? Well, maybe not.

G

Gary Harkins

Not the big M or C or D

The U.S. Naval observatory and the Royal observatory in Greenwich, England are the preeminent authorities on anything to do with time. They both agree that we are not in the new Millennium or Century or Decade. All of these occur at the stroke of midnight between 2000 and 2001. If you would like more information on this subject use your search engine and search for "Gregorian calendar." Of coarse you can continue believing that 2+2=5 if it makes you feel good!

J

Jay Hill

It's all in the marketing Gary

2001 being the official M was a major discussion for some time (not on HOW) and it seems great pressure was placed on public officials to celebrate the new M at 2000 vs 2001. This allows all capitalistic countries to advertise for the practice M and the real M for two )%^^*)*&* years versus just one like they did in 1001. Marketing gurus are making a killing on it. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong! :)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
In their defense (and they don't deserve one)

In defense of all of the nasayers. There were particular problems with the turn of the year. YES it was over hyped. NO it did not go without problems (JUST ASK PHIL). The basic computer problems where in the fact that we were in the habit of using 6 digit dates when we should have been using 8 digit formats. There was probably a lot more money spent on the problem than need. BUT, this exercise gave many companies a chance to clean up a lot of OLD S--t that should have been done 2, 5 or even 10 years ago. There are still some problems to be taken care of but it is really no different than the normal day to day problems that happen every day in the computer programmers life (JUST ASK PHIL). With the new year upon us and the new century and m-------m ahead of us we should all be thankful we are still here to take advantage of the great future that the world has in store for us. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The heck with the Royal Obsrv..

Maybe it's my marketer's blood, but I could care less what any authority says about the changing of the millennium. When the witten expression of the something as common as the date changes so dramatically from the way it's been written for 1000 years, it's cause for celebration. Call it what you will, it's a lot more interesting to me than next Jan 1; and I'll bet the same holds true for about a billion others.

R

Rico

Sailing and precise time

My, what responses. The last issue of Smithsonian had a great article on time, and the role the Royal Observatory plays in keeping it. I would reccomend it for any sailor as it truly states the significance this institution has played in the history of the world as it relates to celestial navigation. The R.O. offered a reward (over $1,000,000 value today) for the invention of an accurate timepeice at sea. Existing pendulum based clocks didn't work for obvious reasons. The obssrvatory still houses and cherishes "H-4"; the winner. It's development forever changed the world in terms of intercontinental trade and the creation and sustained maintenance of trans-oceanic empires. Celestial navigation remains alive and well, even alongside modern technology. The hub of this concept is pursuing and keeping precise time. I would certainly not expect the R.O. to indulge officially in whims of fancy. However, in an interview the R.O.'s director said the staff will "be celebrating right along with everyone else".

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Right on, Phil!

I say POOH on the killjoys who decided not to have fun just cuz it wasn't the "real" millenium. We all know it. Get over it, loosen up & have a little fun! Happy Y2K!!! LaDonna

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I'm with you LaDonna

The beginning of a new milleneum..or the end of the old one...it doesn't matter. Do we celebrate our car turning 101,000 miles...of course not! We cheer when it makes 100k. Well...our calender's odometer just turned over to all -0-s again...if a bloomin car is worth cheering, this definitely is!

J

Jay Eaton

Time

Speaking of TIME, I recommend "LONGITUDE" by Dava Sobel. It is a great little book.

S

Steve Beynon

Back to the original theme

I agree that the future will probably be defined by the interaction of the web surfers rather than the body surfers. I do hope the manufacturers are reading these pages to see what is being proposed. Warning We have seen a lot of equipment and hull failure at the recent America's Cup events and I have seen and heard of similar problems on the cruising waters. Are we pushing cost reduction and space optimization too far at the risk of failures and possible loss of life Final note I have both given and received very valuable advice on these pages KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK Steve

D

Dennis Thomas

Earth, Water and Time

As a geologist, I might address TJ's news tidbit about the earth soaking up the oceans. An awesome amount of water is trapped in wet sediments and dragged down into the earth's crust at subduction zones along plate boundries. But luckily, it doesn't stay there. All that is subducted and more is expelled back into the atmosphere through volcanoes. Over geologic time the oceans have grown larger as water trapped inside from the earth's origin has worked its way to the surface. And Hey!, I celebrated the great odeometer change of the calendar along with everone. But I will have a millinium celebration next new years! Want to join? The original topic of this thread is very interesting. The advent of the web has created whole new communitites of persons with similiar interests and has provided the opportunity for those interest to be much more focused that at any time in history. In the past, if you could find two other people that shared an interest in crusing in small sailboats with whom to correspond it would be a miracle. The opportunity to share real first hand experinces within such a limited topic is wonderfull.

D

Dennis Thomas

Earth, Water and Time

As a geologist, I might address TJ's news tidbit about the earth soaking up the oceans. An awesome amount of water is trapped in wet sediments and dragged down into the earth's crust at subduction zones along plate boundries. But luckily, it doesn't stay there. All that is subducted and more is expelled back into the atmosphere through volcanoes. Over geologic time the oceans have grown larger as water trapped inside from the earth's origin has worked its way to the surface. And Hey!, I celebrated the great odeometer change of the calendar along with everone. But I will have a millinium celebration next new years! Want to join? The original topic of this thread is very interesting. The advent of the web has created whole new communitites of persons with similiar interests and has provided the opportunity for those interest to be much more focused that at any time in history. In the past, if you could find two other people that shared an interest in crusing in small sailboats with whom to correspond it would be a miracle. The opportunity to share real first hand experinces within such a limited topic is wonderfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.