Hank or Furler???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
I got the idea surfing the web a while ago, and something siminlar was on a 21 foot boat, but I modified that design.

Sep 27, 2008
Macgregor 25 petpeswick harbor nova scotia
great thread guys, my cdi furler has the tension joints broken , like a teflon material and they claim on the site not made anymore, anyone know where i can get some, be my second season sailing and think i may have planned to do to much to the boat lol

thanks much and email me please as only on here when in the office if you have any info

b n

Apr 25, 2005
For all to see.... I am planning on rigging the boat up and setting up everything as a dry run for some early spring sailing, so as soon as it is up, I will take either a video or some detailed pictures of the Furler. Hopefuly this weekend will be dry enough to raise the mast and get all of the Winter kinks worked out.

Wish me luck!!!

Oct 22, 2005
- - Port Alice
UV Protection

Gregg9020,
Thinking further about your furler design, which I really like and plan to build, I am curious if you have thought about UV protection for the portion of the sail that will be continually exposed. Seems like the two options would be to sew on a subrella cover to the exposed area, or to make a sock that covers the sail at the end of the day. What are you doing on you setup?

Apr 25, 2005
Re: UV Protection

I am planning on sewing a sock that I can slip over the sail at the ens of the day. Day to day use is not really an issue, but the long storage times between sails is, so I am in the process of getting a sock/sleeve made that I can velcro over the sail and store without worry. I am making it out of sunbrella. It is water proof, and UV resistant.. I am going to use srcapes that I have left over from my main sail cover and just peice it together. Nothing fancy.

Apr 25, 2005
Well it rained this weekend, and is still raining... I did get the batterey switch in, and the lazerette wall painted. Installation coming and pictures too soon. I will post on the "Let's see your Mods" posting. I will get the mast up and roller up as soon as I have a couple of dry days. and post those pics here.

Sorry, but Mother Nature won the battle this weekend....

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Frank, can you take some pictures of the zip ties and the hooks you are using? I am not really seeing how you attached it. I have the hanks going through the pipe connecting to the forestay inside. That way the PVC is not having to bear the load the forestay is. Glad to see you got it to work.
Here are some picts from today. You can see the zip tie of the tack and the ss eye screwed to the pipe. As I stated in an earlier post I would eliminate the eye by cutting a shallow grove in the pipe to keep the zip tie from sliding. Have had it out today for the 7th day of sailing and so far it works great. Only issue was getting the cover to slide over the clew and sheets. I'm too short to reach it and decided to try using the dock pole to poke and tuck and it worked well. Now I am totally satisfied.

Attachments

Apr 25, 2005
Hey Frank, How did you attach the plastic to the metal? Also, what did you do with the top of the sail? I mean in terms of the halyard and the twisting?

THanks,

Dec 5, 2008
Macgregor Venture 22 Lake Kerr
I did about the same thing for the original jib that came with my boat, and it works very well. I have bought a new jib, and so decided to imrove on the design . . . I hope, it is still in the living room and dining room right now (ah, the advantages of being single!!). On my original design, I replaced the pin on the top of my adjustment shackle with a 3" stainless bolt. On top of that I up a small length of PVC pipe that I fit a ball bearing roller in. Then, the actual furler, which has a rounded end cap on the bottom seats on top of the ball bearing. Makes it VERY easy to roll. On the new design, I steped up to 1 1/4" PVC and actually cut a slot all the way down it with a table saw (mine is made in sections) and am using slugs to attach the jib. I use a halyard which goes to a sheave on the top of the PVC and turns with it. The Halyard resides inside of the rolled jib. Even though I may loose a little power by bringing the jib up over the turnbuckle, I single hand a lot and I have a real problem with not being able to see where I am going. I hope to test this system in about a week, but so far I think it will work great.

Apr 25, 2005
I will post pics as soon as I have the weather to raise everything. I have a HUGE storm moving in tomorrow and it suposed to last through tuesday Up to 6" of rain.

Apr 25, 2005
Well Mother nture got the best of me.and I was not able to get the mast raised, nor was I able to get tobthe boat....... Maybe this weekend....

Just keeping this post alive.... Ha ha ha

Gregg

Sep 29, 2008
Macgregor 26S Anacortes
Hank on & furler sails

I have both. I made a furler out of PVC and I slid it over the existing forestay. I can keep the hank on sails in the event I need them or someone needs a sail fast, and I made my 150 Genoa into a furler. I think the cost was under $30.00 for everything. I spent about two hours putting it together for the first time, andfine tuning it, but now I have a furler. I can get you a list and maybe take photos if you want to have a hank on furling sail.
Hi, I am very interested in how you did this - usually anytime I can make something for the boat & save hundred$ I will do. Please send a list & photos. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2005
Re: Hank on & furler sails

San Juan,

I have to get the boat set up again. I will take as many as I can. Is there anything specific that you want to see? I have posted pictures earlier in the thread, just go back to the beginning. I also posted a list of material, and basic instructions on how to assemble. Let me know what you want and I will get it posted. I used it this last weekend on SF Bay, and it was great. The seas were moderate to choppy,and I never left the cockpit to dowse it. It is a little funky rigging and derigging it, but it is really nice to be able to look like a pro in front of hundreds of people on Peir 39

let me know...

Gregg

Jansen

Jan 20, 2007
McGregor 26S Mobile, AL
I did about the same thing for the original jib that came with my boat, and it works very well. I have bought a new jib, and so decided to imrove on the design . . . I hope, it is still in the living room and dining room right now (ah, the advantages of being single!!). On my original design, I replaced the pin on the top of my adjustment shackle with a 3" stainless bolt. On top of that I up a small length of PVC pipe that I fit a ball bearing roller in. Then, the actual furler, which has a rounded end cap on the bottom seats on top of the ball bearing. Makes it VERY easy to roll. On the new design, I steped up to 1 1/4" PVC and actually cut a slot all the way down it with a table saw (mine is made in sections) and am using slugs to attach the jib. I use a halyard which goes to a sheave on the top of the PVC and turns with it. The Halyard resides inside of the rolled jib. Even though I may loose a little power by bringing the jib up over the turnbuckle, I single hand a lot and I have a real problem with not being able to see where I am going. I hope to test this system in about a week, but so far I think it will work great.
Hi, How wide a slot and what size slugs?

Apr 25, 2005
I made mine about the same size as the slugs (hanks). I think it is about the width of a grinder wheel. I just plunged it into the pipe until I thought it was the right width. I had to open a few of them, but it doesn't take much time... The PVC is pretty soft against a grinder.

Oct 22, 2005
- - Port Alice
When you post your pictures could you take one of the head of the sail where the halyard connects?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Hey Frank, How did you attach the plastic to the metal? Also, what did you do with the top of the sail? I mean in terms of the halyard and the twisting?

THanks,
Sorry about late post just noticed your query.

I attached the sail with a 1/2'' zip tie. A small ss eye keeps it from sliding down the pipe. I pre stretched it while it was laid out on the lawn before attaching to pipe. The location of the hank grommets determined where to put the eyes. Each hanking grommet has a ss eye. If I had to do it again I would just grind a shallow grove around the pipe to hold the zip ties in place. I would only use eyes for the ends to maintain the tension.
There is no jib halyard necessary so I removed it. Actually I used it to replace my aging spinnaker halyard. The pipe and spool are supported by the bottom cable ferrule. I slotted a 1'' pvc cap to snap over the cable to give the bottom something slick to pivot on (no need for bearings.) I'll take some detail picts this weekend and post on Sunday night.

Jansen

Jan 20, 2007
McGregor 26S Mobile, AL
PVC tube furler with slugs

This sounds really unique. does the PVC twiist with a slot cut in it? Could you post some pics of your setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.