Halyard size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2012
Islander B30 Cedar Mills marinia
I need to replace the spinnaker halyard on my B-30. When I measured it the other day it appeared to be 1/2 inch on my ruler. When look at the running rigging tool on here it syas the B-30 uses a 3/8. Now I'm wondering if the line I currently have on the boat is not correct or would it be thicker due to it is worn out. The outside braides have seperated from the inside braides about half way up from the shackle. Should I just get the 3/8 and not worry about it?

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
I need to replace the spinnaker halyard on my B-30. When I measured it the other day it appeared to be 1/2 inch on my ruler. When look at the running rigging tool on here it syas the B-30 uses a 3/8. Now I'm wondering if the line I currently have on the boat is not correct or would it be thicker due to it is worn out. The outside braides have seperated from the inside braides about half way up from the shackle. Should I just get the 3/8 and not worry about it?

I'd use whats listed in the running rigging. I recently had to re-rig my Oday because I was having trouble just pulling up the main sail. My boat was originally rigged with 3/8" halyards, back stay was 1/4" and the jib sheets were 7/16". Before I reworked everything the main halyward was 9/16", the spinnacker halyard was 9/16", the back stay was 7/16" and generally everything was difficult to pull. The Sheaves were not big enough to handle the line so it was dragging, lines were being frayed and one halyard was actually dragging to the top of the masthead. Long story short, use the right size line. Bigger isn't necessarily better and most of hte new line is stronger that what they were originally rigged with. Its so much more enjoyable to sail my boat now that I have the right size line in place. Hell I had 1/2" on the furler. The previous owner must have lost her mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.