Halyard Roller and Halyard Roller Bracket

Feb 22, 2009
Hunter 386 Florida
Hello, Anyone have any issues with their Halyard Rollers on a 2003 Hunter 386? The tension on the roller bracket is such that it gets pulled up off the deck, however small, and when it rains, water comes in above the three lights in the center of the salon just aft of the mast. Any advice, fixes or modifications appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
LargoJimbo... Are you talking about the Halyard Lead Blocks?
1594219400065.png

If they are "coming up", then you need to remove and rebed them. If that has not been done in the past 17 years, then it is about time.

Remove the blocks. Clean up the area under the blocks. Perhaps you have water in the core, you will need to address that issue. Then reinstall the blocks "rollers" using a proper bedding material. I would recommend a visit to MaineSail's site and learn about rebedding your hardware.
His product is a standard on my boat. So far no more leaks after rebedding hardware with Bed-It.

Good luck.

Feb 22, 2009
Hunter 386 Florida
Hi JSS, Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your information.

No. They are not Halyard Lead Blocks. Its weird. I've attached some pictures to show you what I'm talking about. I think it is compensation for a design flaw. There is a deck cover that goes over halyards and sheets from the cockpit to the mast. Underneath that deck cover is what the boat manual deck hardware list calls a halyard roller and a halyard roller bracket. The purpose for these two parts is to hold the halyards and sheets down so they don't rip up that deck cover piece when putting loads on the halyards and sheets. The halyard roller bracket is made up of a stainless steel bar that has six 1 inch delrin rods that the bar slips into and 3 brackets. Each bracket has two holes that get secured to the deck with SS machine type screws. Screwed in and not secured with a washer or nut. That's 6 more holes in the top of the boat.

What happened to me is, over the years, there was so much pressure put on the halyard bracket, the brackets lifted off the deck and when it rained or a wave washed over the deck, water came through the ceiling and recessed lights in the salon shorting some out.

So, my thoughts are to secure the halyard roller brackets better by adding SS washer and SS nylon nut to each screw on the bracket and sealing with silicone or caulk. Or, cut the deck cover back to just after the deflector blocks and glass over the 6 bracket holes and call it a day. Please let me know any thoughts you may have. Thank you again.

1596077380819.png

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok. Halyard rollers. Just about explains them. I’ve not seen them, but suspect they serve like conveyer belts in a factor. They help to reduce the friction that makes pulling lines along the deck difficult at times.

You will need to fix the leaks. Take the parts off. Inspect the deck and try to repair any water damage to the wood/foam core that is beneath the deck and has water in it from the leaks.

I‘d follow the ideas in the link to fill the hole with epoxy, then drill new holes thru the epoxy and seal them properly. That is where the butyl comes in. It is the type of work that will save your boat.