• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Halloween 2019 windy!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
We had quite a little blast of wind last night in Kingston Ontario (gust to 50+ knots). Lots of power outages (us included) and I woke up to find I'm missing some dock furniture. One of the (freakin heavy) re-cycled plastic Adirondack chairs we have on the dock decided to go for a swim and some of our neighbours rock shoreline has paid a visit to our lawn. Glad I pulled our boat off the mooring a few weeks ago or I might have had to go shopping for a new one! :)

Storm-1.jpg

Storm-2.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Gusts to 50 knots and 20+ foot seas at 7 AM this morning
Yes I don’t think I would be flying a spin in that!!

The Lake Ontario water level has receded enough so that it is now over two feet below the top surface of our dock (still more than a foot higher than average). The point of land we are on shelters the dock somewhat from the full wave height in the channel between us and an island. Even with that the waves crested the dock enough to just toss the chairs up on the lawn (they are heavy enough that I drag them not lift them).

I’ve windsurfed in Maui in that type of wind ONCE. I was in the water next to a big guy 240lbs who was waterstarting. He made a little oopsy and it picked him fully out of the water and just flung him, dislocating his shoulder. I then had to self rescue him and me, swore not to test myself at that limit again!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had a line of storms come through last night with at least one gust over 50 knots. Before the front we were trick-or-treating In 75 degrees. Now it’s in the low 50’s, with the season’s first freeze warning for tomorrow morning. Was hoping to go for a late season sail today but between the cold and wind gusts consistently into the mid 20’s it doesn’t look like too much fun.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes I don’t think I would be flying a spin in that!!

The Lake Ontario water level has receded enough so that it is now over two feet below the top surface of our dock (still more than a foot higher than average). The point of land we are on shelters the dock somewhat from the full wave height in the channel between us and an island. Even with that the waves crested the dock enough to just toss the chairs up on the lawn (they are heavy enough that I drag them not lift them).

I’ve windsurfed in Maui in that type of wind ONCE. I was in the water next to a big guy 240lbs who was waterstarting. He made a little oopsy and it picked him fully out of the water and just flung him, dislocating his shoulder. I then had to self rescue him and me, swore not to test myself at that limit again!
Back in the days before the internet and accurate wind forecasts, we set off from Fair Haven, NY to Oswego in what was supposed to be 15-25 knts in our Tanzer 22. Half way home, the winds went to 50 knots with 12+ foot seas. Quite a sleigh ride.:yikes: