h40.5 starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob

i have had an erratic starting prroblem with the yanmar 50 hp on my 40.5...sometimes when i would turn the key, it would be dead...however, it would usually start fine...i thought i had a solenoid problem....another 40.5 owner had had the same problem, and told me that a relay needed to be installed in the electrical circuit...i've done so and the problem has been completely solved....if any 40.5 owners have the same problem, i can give you details concerning the relay and installation...you can email me at sailor1543@aol.com......bob

V

Vernon

Same problem on 376

Bob -- I'm having exactly the same problem on my 3-year-old 376, although it didn't show up until about six months ago. I'll contact you for the details, but wanted others to know that the problem may be more widely encountered. Anyone else?

S

Steve Lazerow

Same problem on my '98 376

I had a Yanmar authorized service center out. They said it was just a loose wire at the starter. I'll wait and see. Thanks

G

Gene Jones

Starter problem on H45

I would like to have the information. My H45 FAIRWIND has the problem. Thanks

C

Curt Morris

Relay Solves Erratic Starter Problem

Bob, the addition of a relay to your starter circuitry is definitely the low cost fix for erratic starter activity. I experienced the same problem on my H-376 during the second season of operation. After inspaecting all connections and checking with some really professional diesel/electrical people we found the problem was caused by excessive voltage drop in the rather lenghty cabling. simply put the cable ages and connectins build resistance. The fix is to add the inexpensive relay vs. doing what most boat manufacturers aren't doing...use larger diameter cable in long runs to prevent the problem from eventually occuring. The electrical guy in my marina advised he has added the relay solution to most brands of production boats produced at one time or another. He told me he brought the problem to Yanmar's attention, even though their engine start circuit is not the problem. Reportedly Yanmar is coming out with a special cable kit (larger diameter wire) for extended cable runs. This could be used at the time of production. My boat has the relay and it starts everytime on the first try. Curt Morris S/V Smooth Operator

B

bob

relay fix

curt..i'm glad to know the technical basis for the relay fix....it has sure worked for me...bob

Status
Not open for further replies.