h40.5 OEM pleated shades

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I messed up. I never took pictures of my shades before I removed them many years ago. They had a lot of mildew on the fabric.
Now I have them clean and looking like new, but the elastic that holds them in the folded position is stretched and needs replacing. Replacing the elastic is easy, but I need to figure out how long the elastic needs to be so that they fit correctly.
So I'm asking- does anyone still have the OEM shades who can send me pictures of them attached and in both folded and deployed position? A measure of the length of the elastic would also be great.
I know a couple of h40.5 owners but they have both replaced their shades with a similar but different shade. The original company, Coast Cushion Co., in Warren, RI is no longer in business.
So, anyone with pictures and measurements?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Oceanair makes custom spleated shades (that suggestion came up on this thread (2) Pleated shades on a 1993 40.5 | Sailboat Owners Forums )

Dometic Oceanair Skysol Pleatedshade - Fabric pleated blind for portlights and small windows | Dometic.com
Complete the Custom PLEATED Shade Order form and return it to AhoyCaptain by Fax @ 866-454-7459 or Email it to orders@ahoycaptain.com.
Download Custom Pleated Shade Order Form.pdf

You have options to secure them in the open position.

View attachment 197938
Rich, the chandlery here sells replacement elastics - measuring an existing set won't give you what you need - they would be stretched out, too. I installed the shades and then measured on the replacements where to attach.
:waycool: