Packing

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Given the present location, it might be easier to remove the entire deck of the boat just to get at the gland :mad:.

Wondering if it would be easier to disconnect the shaft from the coupler and slide the shaft far enough to remove the box from the shaft in order to replace the stuffing.
Not too, too clear here but if you do intend to pull the shaft all the way back, you'd still be stuck with having to remove the prop shaft flange which would not be a piece of cake. This assumes that I understand you correctly. If you were to do this, you COULD then easily remove the old packing. However, you'd still be faced with installing the new packing rings which would have to be done with the shaft back in the original location.

I do remember once seeing a ship where an engine was being removed. This was done through an enormous hole cut in the side of the hull. Ever thought of cutting a large hole in the bottom of your hull and working on the gland from the underside :yikes:.

As we know, everything on a boat is a matter of compromise and from what we see here, this may be an easier choice compared to your existing repack scenario. Now, to figure out how to repair this gaping hole in the bottom of the hull :rolleyes:.

Jan 4, 2006
please let me know when you plan this operation. I want to bring a couple of beers a lawn chair and watch. I think it would be exciting.
Not so fast :huh: !

We'll be charging admission of $5.00 a head to see this spectacular. How else would @Terry Cox be able to have the hole in the bottom of the hull repaired ?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
please let me know when you plan this operation. I want to bring a couple of beers a lawn chair and watch. I think it would be exciting.
Just what we need, another spectator sport. Be sure to bring your video cameras. Likely a hoot.

Jan 4, 2006
Hmm. Must give this some thought. Might be an easier solution than how I've done it in the past. :ass:
Noticed this on another post and it just MAY be what you're looking for to seal the bottom of your hull after opening it up to work on your stuffing box. However, I would NOT recommend this artillery demonstration as a way of opening an inspection port in the bottom of your hull.

Be advised we have increased admission to $10.00 / head due to increased costs of putting on this debacle.

Last edited: