H34 Prototype companionway instrument cluster

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Thought I'd share a little fun project I've been working on. Modeled in OnShape CAD software and 3d printing the model as a shell to use as the mold. Of course I still have to sand, body work, etc...the mold. Got one prototype printed and used it to fine tune dimensions, will print the second prototype soon and fine tune dimensions some more. Hoping the 3rd iteration can be used to actually pull a part off of it! Should sit right at the back of the sliding hatch and rest on the ledges of the hatch and ledge just in front of the main sheet. Should not collide with the mainsheet.

Link to the model for the curious: CAD Assembly

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
looks interesting. would this be placed near the traveler? would the reach to the instruments from the helm be challenging?

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
looks interesting. would this be placed near the traveler? would the reach to the instruments from the helm be challenging?
Yep right in front of the traveler. I wouldn't say they would be hard to reach from the cockpit, from the helm, yes, you would have to step away, as its probably 2 feet at least I'd guess from behind the helm to where these would sit. The idea is that with three of them you can set them up for your sail and everyone in the cockpit can see them instead of just the helmsman. This would not be a good location for autopilot controls, which should be near the helmsman in my opinion.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
That will be a great pod ! Did mine in the same location more that 20 years ago. I've never regretted it. It has not created any problems with the traveler or the main sheet movement. Companion way access is still more than ample for even my tallest and biggest friends ! And in answer to the questions here is what 33000 miles of navigation have thought me:
1) Distance from behind the wheel to the pod is more like 6 feet + and the 34 cockpit being T-shape, you have some gymnastic to go around the wheel to reach the pod. That is not an issue as I leave my ST-60 windmeter set to apparent wind and the tridata has been compensated & adjusted for depths in feet, speed in knots and log in nautical miles. Those settings stay the same when the instruments are shut off and turned on again.
2) Indeed everyone in the cockpit can see them. The drawback is that there always seem to be someone who likes to stand in the companion way, blocking the view of the instruments to the helmsman and everybody else. Not an issue for me as I sail singlehanded most of the time, and not an issue either when I have someone who does it as I simply tell them to get out of there. Not only do they block the view but I also explain that it is a safety issue.
3) I agree that would be a wrong position for the autopilot control as the helmsman needs to be able to get to it quickly, easily, and within reach. I have located mine just below the little shelf in the coaming on starboard side. See pics.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
we just added an axiom 9 into a large navpod with depth, wind and autopilot. I think the large navpod is too wide and may put the depth and wind up front also since they show up nicely on the Axiom. But need to put the old autopilot that doesn't integrate with the Axiom nearby. Maybe have to buy a newer autopilot some day

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
That will be a great pod ! Did mine in the same location more that 20 years ago.
You gave me the idea! I have a fascination with composite productions... Doubt I'll ever crank things out like NavPod quality, but I'd like to be able to get this thing to where I can produce a few if people were interested in buying them. I'm sure it will be several more weeks before I get this one out of the mold and decide if its worth it.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
Looks cool.

Not sure I got the dimensions right, what is the overall? I think it got 34.5” x 4” x 4”
Where are you getting that printed, and what is the approximate cost to have a rapid prototype printed? Last time I looked at big parts, was expensive and had to be done in pieces, though that was years ago. So curious the cost/details now.

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
I did something similar on my 44ac. I told the dealer when I bought it that I wanted to mount the instruments myself but they were already mounted in the center when I took receipt of the boat. Initially only the radio was mounted here. We worked it out and I had them mount a piece of starboard to be able to move the radio and install the gauges.

1611688160702.png

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Looks cool.

Not sure I got the dimensions right, what is the overall? I think it got 34.5” x 4” x 4”
Where are you getting that printed, and what is the approximate cost to have a rapid prototype printed? Last time I looked at big parts, was expensive and had to be done in pieces, though that was years ago. So curious the cost/details now.
Thanks. Pretty close! 34.5" W X 5" deep at its deepest X 5" high. The fillets actually make the depth and height smaller typically by about a 1/4" depending on the size of the fillet. The top is closer to 3.5" and deepens to 5" at the ledge. Raymarine specifies needing 5" for the cabling which is absurd, but I'm trying to stick as close to that as I can and make it look good and be functional.

I'm printing it myself on an Ender 3 Pro with some very minimal modifications and a lot of fine tuning and testing ahead of time. That way I can avoid a 3rd party expensive print. this is accomplished by splitting the print into 4 parts since its serving as a fiberglass mold. This is how I modeled it on the original with bolt flanges to bolt them all together to form a single piece after all 4 are printed. Putty, Wax, and PVA
fill the seam when I get ready to make the first pull from the mold.
Untitled.png

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
If I am correct the news MFDs allow autopilot control from the MFD so the autopilot display can also be mounted in the companion way pod.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Yes if you really wanted you could. The design allows for a 4th instrument/repeater if desired.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
Thanks for the explanation on how you’re printing the pieces! Look forward to seeing the finished product!