h23 Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darrel Richards

On April 15th we sailed in the Hillsboro to West Palm race, conducted by the Old Port Yacht Club in North Palm Beach Florida. We are proud and happy to inform that my 1988 h23 won the race boat for boat by over 30 minutes corrected time. We sailed against a Tartan 37, An S2 9.2, a Catalina 27, a Hunter 25, a Catalina 32, a Beneteau 1st 35 and a Watson 36. This little h23 has a clean bottom, a new 135% jib and a new main, all made by SuperSails in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. The main is open footed and we use a Forespar adjustable 1- 1/2 inch wisker pole to hold out the jib, when necessary. The wind was SSE at 10-15, and seas 2-4 for this 33 mile coastal race.

G

Greg Stebbins

And another thing....

Darrel, I'd like to here more particulars please. I'm especially interested in the loose-footed main. How'd it work? Can you compare to a normal mainsail. Have you tried reefed?

D

Darrel Richards

Elapsed Time

Total actual elapsed time was 5:47:38 actual and 4:01:23 corrected. They give this boat a rating of 255 for this race. The new main is open footed and is really easy to open up for down wind, we created a nice shape to the sail. Going up wind it is much easier to harden up. We have not reefed this sail at this point. We do have a split backstay adjuster and have used this to depower the main in gusts. Have not really had conditions that we were overpowered. Would expect in winds over 15-18 knots that we would go to the 100% and leave the main alone and see what happens. The main does have one reef point and is fairly easy to reef if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.