• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Greek Alphabet Crazy 2020

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I just did a 16 day GFS forecast on Tropicaltidbits.com to check on the weather for my boats Lift out, off land.

This is no Joke!!!

It is showing that the HOT Caribbean will spawn more storms this 2020 Hurricane season.
Reaching KAPPA...

Eta is now on map,
Theta to form on November 7th [heading for me again?:facepalm:]

Iota forming on November 9th, but heading to Atlantic

Kappa forming on November 13th...

Geeezzzzzo_O

Any one want to bet on Lambda? :yikes:

Still aground...
Jim...

PS: GFS Forecast.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
did the Lambda once.
You must of hiccuped, John

Lamb Dah is Greek letter

Lambada is the dance!

I have done that dance, you don't move your back, the lady does all the dancing!:dancing:

Now I understand you are too far NORTH to Salsa to "Musica Caliente":pimp:

Jim...

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe it was that I did (kissed) a Lambda once.
I guess I had better claim the 5th.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Theta and Iota on their way. Late in November

New storms.jpeg

Kappa is coming too!

Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They are storms... Their activity depends on how they grow...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If it matters to anyone
It does matter:thumbup:

Another thought about ACE, it describes the amount of ocean Stored Solar Energy and the time a Storm sucks up that Heat.

Snapshot [ every 6 hours] in time, of the Refueling of the Storm.

Less time to refuel, less ACE.

Although the Sun continues to Heat tropical Atlantic, it does change with the seasons.:)

ohc_aQG3_latest_natl.gif

All of the forecasts were wrong.
For a recap...
'Extremely active' hurricane season possible for Atlantic Basin | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Jim...