Great Lakes Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bhulme

I have a Catalina 30 with a 5' 2" draft and am planning a cruise from Sandusky Oh up to Lake Huron this summer. Any advice, suggestions or comments from someone who has cruised this area would be appreciated. I am also planning to do some diving along the way. Any good wreck coordinates would be appreciated also.

T

Tom Ehmke

Ahoy to a Lake Erie sailor!!! I sail out an ODay 272 out of West Harbor on Catawba Island. I've made the trip from Port Clinton to Drummond Island in the North Channel of Lake Huron and am planning to go next summer as well. It's a broad topic. E-mail me at tomclaud@wcnet.org and I will share what I know. Happy New Year Tom Ehmke ODay 272 tooth'n'nail

T

Tom Ehmke

We'll be away from home until after new years, so be patient if I don't respond to your e-mail right away. Tom Ehmke ODay 272 tooth'n'nail

E

Ed Schenck

Want to do the same.

Have not done it but will soon. I recall some advise from those who have. The Detroit river has a very strong current going up to St. Clair. Trick is to stay as close to shore as depth will allow. Current is strongest in the middle.

B

Bob McDowell

North Channel

My SO and I did the trip from West Harbor on Catwaba in our Ericson 27 (no auxillary power)twice (we spent 3 whole summers sailing the HuronGeorgian Bay North Channel triangle) . The first year we sailed to the entrance of Lake Huron and anchored in Sarnia Bay. We sailed out into Lake Huron but as the Weather forcast called for NE winds up to 25 kts we decided to end our trip there. This sail took us 10 days from Catawba. It is possible to sail up all the rivers but you must know you boat's sailing characteristics. The following year we sailed to the North Channel via Alpena MI. We again sailed up the rivers without much trouble. (A little hint about the Blue Water Bridge, there is a huge upstream eddy on the east side of the river about 50-100 feet off the shore.) If you want to know some more let me know.

T

Tom Lincoln

Pleasant Trip but get use to the diesel

We sailed/motored from Sandusky to Sarnia in our Tartan 37. It is a rather pleasant trip. Lots of intersting places to stop all along the way. Some people will tell you how strong and dangerous the current is. Not so. The only area of really strong curent is at Sarnia and it is a relatively short distance. You will need to stay close to the shore where the current is weaker. Watch your charts there are some shoals on the river and of course Lake Saint Clair. Pay attention to the commercial shipping. The freighters are relatively easy see but sometimes they sneak up from behind if your not paying attention. There are a lot of ships in the river. Don't mess with em. If a small boat tried to cross in front of one of those big guys and had a motor failure it would be all over. They can't possibly stop in a short distance. I personally find the freighter interesting and this is one place you can get really close when they are actively moving. Relax and enjoy the trip. It is worth the effort.

C

Colin

Tobermory for wrecks

You are planning an interesting trip, as someone said earlier the current is no problem till Sarnia then for only a short time. Several nice Marinas on the Canadain side have not tried the US side. Lake StClaire has the channel marked right across across the lake. Tobermory is one of the best freshwater diving spots in North America, lots of wrecks and very clean water. If you have time, try to make it into the North Cahnnel it offers the best fresh water sailing in the world.

W

Wes Carroll

I am also going to head north this summer, I am looking at Drummond Island or Detour. Possibly I will do both. The dates have not been set, but I would appreciate information too. Thanks Wes Caroll

D

Don Evans

James Heberts' Site

Check out www.continuouswave.com James and company travels throughout the North Channel and Greatlakes is laid out in a very well done site. Also don't miss the Greatlakes Cruising Club site at www.glcclub.com There are countless sites available from there. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.