Great day on the water......Finally!!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
After 5 long months of being without a tow vehicle, I FINALLY got back on the water!! I had a beautiful partly cloudy day with some highly variable winds, sometimes I just barely coasted along, sometimes I watched the Windex go in circles and sometimes I was braced up and easing the sheets but it was a day on the water and not at work. This was the first time I've been able to sail on the weekend and I actually saw 4 other sail boats out on the lake during the afternoon. Sometimes I could get a really good long puff and get a good reach going, one time, I hit 8.4 mph on the gps. On another puff that turned into a gust, I finally had the experience of "rounding up." It was surprising to me when it happened because the wind forecast was only 8-12 mph. Since I chose to leave the bimini at the house, I really enjoyed using the ForeSpar hiking stick I installed on my tiller handle. I was able to sit on the coaming, right next to the halyard bag and shade myself with the main sail. For all you fellow sailors still working on your boats and dreaming of that first launch, keep going, it's all worth it!! Oh yeah, and just for fun, I ran the GoPro up the mast to see what it looks like from up there.....

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Holy cow! That's a tall mast! :eek:

Looking forward to more photos of that "new design" C-22!

Don

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Yep, this is the kind of motivational pics those of us still restoring and working on our boats need!
Really like the creative use of your GoPro!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Good going, Slim! I've been out ONCE since June, I think; it's been unspeakably hot and no wind over 5 mph around here all summer long.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Thanks Dawg, I know the feeling....except I've had some nice days off with plenty of breeze but no way to get the sail boat to the lake till now.