Got a Venture 21 should I move up to a MacGregor 26s

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I lived on a 50' sailboat for awhile. Sometimes less is more. :)

I'm keeping my eye out for a good condition Mac 26s.
Ah! Someone who might be able to lend some insight re battery use!

At the risk of highjacking your thread, I would like to ask a question.

My wife and I plan to do some on-the-water camping during the cooler months, and she is a little concerned about battery capacity vis-a-vis using lights and running a small (1500 watt) space heater for a portion of the time (maybe 3-4 hours intermittently) just to keep things from being too frosty. This would be in temperatures above 40 degrees, and we are confident body warmth will suffice in the aft berth while sleeping. Single overnight initially.

Draw on the battery would include the running lights (LED), anchor light, and cabin light (both still old-school filament). It would be nice to have enough juice left to start the auxiliary motor (outboard), but that has a rope-start option which I have found works fine.

The question is, will one deep-cycle marine battery suffice, or should I install a second one to increase capacity? Another option would be to buy a portable power bank so that if we draw the battery down too far we can at least start the motor the next morning.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you have a 12v heater in mind or planning to use an inverter? Heaters are real energy hogs. I'm guessing one battery will not suffice for your plans.

Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for the quick response. I should have done at least a little investigation before asking, because it did not take me long to find that this question at other forums aligns with what you have said.

Right now we are thinking in terms of a propane heater like this one. Oxygen-depletion sensor makes it safe for inside use. Only concern is that the anti-tip might be too sensitive.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
The last time I slept aboard in November it was 37 in the morning. I was fine under the covers, it was cool once out of bed. Once I started my butane stove for coffee and a breakfast egg sandwich it warmed right up.
You can buy led bulbs to use in your original anchor lights, that's what I did for all the outside lights, inside I bought all new led light fixtures. The filament bulbs eat a lot of the battery.
I would have an extra battery onboard If you needed to rely on battery power to start a motor.

Apr 11, 2020
The last time I slept aboard in November it was 37 in the morning. I was fine under the covers, it was cool once out of bed. Once I started my butane stove for coffee and a breakfast egg sandwich it warmed right up.
You can buy led bulbs to use in your original anchor lights, that's what I did for all the outside lights, inside I bought all new led light fixtures. The filament bulbs eat a lot of the battery.
I would have an extra battery onboard If you needed to rely on battery power to start a motor.
Good advice. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2020
MacGregor 21 Washington
Batteries and heaters don't work out so well. Most people will use something like a Force 10 cabin heater (with proper venting) and run it off propane. There are also diesel furnaces that you see on bigger sailboats.

I lived on a sailboat all winter usually 30+ degrees Fahren. Even with space heater and shore power the boat usually stays cold. I'd usually leave the heat off at night and then just crank up the space heater in the morning for about 5 mins before getting up. It helps to sleep with a ski cap on, wear lots of layers and then get a good quality sleeping bag. A day or two of a little cold isn't all that bad.

Oct 16, 2020
MacGregor 21 Washington
Here is a link for the propane heater. It looks like Force10 sold their business to Dickinson and the heater is now called the 'Cozy Cabin Heater'. Some places sell the heater for about $500. This thing really works well. Installs I have seen usually take a propane line from deck mounted propane bottles. Then it also needs metal venting installed to an exhaust out the side of the boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Does your outboard have a generator? How will you plan to recharge the battery(s) if you are staying onboard multiple nights? I think an electric heater is out. LEDS are a good start on energy conservation. Solar maybe for recharging during the day?
We always return to the slip and shore power. Even when we had the Mac. There's just no place else to overnight on our pond.

Apr 11, 2020
Pretty sure not. Just a magneto, no sign of a generator in the online parts diagrams. Agree that the electric heater is out. I have found what I think is a good solution in the Mr. Heater Little Buddy. Should arrive tomorrow. I'll post a review.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I bought just about everything thing for my boat cheap off ebay, I got a solar power system, supposedly 400 watts for $157 that keeps my two batteries charged. I wanted to set it up so that I could go away for a week without having to worry about electric. My sailpro motor makes a little electric too but I haven't needed to hook that up for my small electric needs.Screenshot_20201217-181046~2.png

Apr 11, 2020
Thanks for that info. For now we are just overnighting, returning to the marina and plugging in. Maybe when we retire we will want something that will suffice for several days on the water. By then I expect they will have a Mr. Fusion or somesuch. ;)