Got a new to me 1974 Catalina And have some questions...

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
hey ho,

Got this sweet 1974 swing keel... We have taken it out on some sea trials and it’s a blast... we were at 6.4knots this afternoon around prevost island in BC. Couple of things are bugging me...
1. Per the pic, what is this hook thing for on one of my spreaders?
2. I can’t figure out what the previous owner was trying to do with the hole in the port cockpit area... I gerry rigged it with a 2” plastic plug which is fine just want to try and figure out what the plan was? Any ideas? Weird scupper idea?
3.any idea what these plastic black Scotty attachments are for... one on each side? I do see a mount on the starboard side, I assume a downrigger?
4. Thought I’d throw a pic of the boat.. sweet red, we are naming her hot potato.

thank for the help and happy sailing

Attachments

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
Not sure how to delete a photo, I accidentally added some of my crab cakes in here.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
That's a nice looking 1974 22! My first "real" boat was a Catalina 22 swing keel. Got it used in 1972. I think it was hull number 446. Didn't look as nice as yours even then.

I was going to ask about those crab cakes. Is that a restaurant? Can you still do that there?

I'd say that "hook" on the spreader is a place to put a small block for a flag halyard.

What's on the other side of that hole? I might guess it is a way to route some wiring to the cockpit but it's a big hole for that.

I agree that Scotty item looks like a mount for a downrigger.

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
That's a nice looking 1974 22! My first "real" boat was a Catalina 22 swing keel. Got it used in 1972. I think it was hull number 446. Didn't look as nice as yours even then.

I was going to ask about those crab cakes. Is that a restaurant? Can you still do that there?

I'd say that "hook" on the spreader is a place to put a small block for a flag halyard.

What's on the other side of that hole? I might guess it is a way to route some wiring to the cockpit but it's a big hole for that.

That’s the dinner table view. I can fortunately look out the window and see the boat bashing against the floating dock... went down after it was whipping around yesterday and saw that one of the docking lines had almost pulled off the front cleat. I’m now trying out some spring line technique.

Attachments

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges

Nothing on the other side of the hole. Just leads into the lazarette

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Nothing on the other side of the hole. Just leads into the lazarette
Like others have said - it looks like a passage for wiring of some sort or another. It's good that you have installed the plug when not in use - in the event the cockpit is ever flooded. Welcome to the forum-

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
1. Per the pic, what is this hook thing for on one of my spreaders?
2. I can’t figure out what the previous owner was trying to do with the hole in the port cockpit area... I gerry rigged it with a 2” plastic plug which is fine just want to try and figure out what the plan was? Any ideas? Weird scupper idea?
3.any idea what these plastic black Scotty attachments are for... one on each side? I do see a mount on the starboard side, I assume a downrigger?
4. Thought I’d throw a pic of the boat.. sweet red, we are naming her hot potato.
1. As stated its for a flag halyard
2. If i am not mistaken isn't the gas tank stored in that lazerett? If so it may be a fuel line hole.
3. Likely a cup holder mount or something? Try contacting Scottys and asking scotty | Contact Us
4. Looks like a good boat with a great crew who have given her a fun name. Enjoy.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
That’s the dinner table view. I can fortunately look out the window and see the boat bashing against the floating dock... went down after it was whipping around yesterday and saw that one of the docking lines had almost pulled off the front cleat. I’m now trying out some spring line technique.
extreme foredeck with a rare exception around the hull joint is notoriously flimsy-- chocked full of holes thanks to all that stuff and backed from the factory with nothing more than scrap laminate. You will at some point, want to pull the foreward bulkhead / hatch and inspect repair as needed: pics of my stock (as of yet) '73

File_001.jpeg
File_004 (1).jpeg
File_002.jpeg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
definitely recommend the cd direct stem fitting retrofit, ties the stem into the bow eye taking some of the load off the foredeck. You can DIY it with a turnbuckle and some stainless backing plates but the CD version is an elegant solution.

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
Question - I have a 74 Catalina 22 swing keel... i see a spinnekar and mainsail Capri 22 for, would this fit my boat?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The Spinnaker will be to small and the main to big. Here is a site you can use to compare sail sizes. The Capri is a fractional rig so it does not fit the C22.

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
We crossed the Georgia straight in our catalina 22 from Saltspring to false creek Vancouver and back again. Northbound through porlier pass on Thursday and back southbound on Friday. Took approx 12 hrs each way. Average speed about 3 knots. On a nice run on north passage but into the wind on the south. We lost the top of our man overboard pole which sucks, we had the starboard aft mast rigging come off (screwed it back in), we improvised a reef in the main (black thin line you can see hanging from the boom)... we needed to reef a bunch. I have a plan to add a second reef line also... adding some blocks to the mast and boom.
98AB88B3-9A56-45A6-B2FD-7E49BFAFF8E0.jpeg

Attachments

Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
Red boat anchored near George wainborne park false creek Vancouver. Made 7.7knots through porlier pass.
2E4A2540-2947-4168-A3A5-7C0C38B71036.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Ganges
Wow that looks cold. Looks like a nice boat with high guardrails. I live opposite prevost... I haven’t sailed in that weather ever I think. If that’s you in the yellow I can’t tell if your expression is happy, sad, disbelief or your rethinking some life decisions. Lol. Still looks fun :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Great time. Probably figuring how to minimize snow getting inside the hood. Had ~5” snow on deck next morning. Also fun with Ferry who was entering Long Harbour as we rounded Salt Spring. AIS was very helpful as visibility was less than 1/4mile, we did finally see the ferry for less than a minute.

hope to see you next year at either Roche or Thetus Rendezvous.