Gonna try Cetol, but what kind??? Need suggestions.....

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
Gonna go ahead and refinish my brightwork this winter. For whatever reason, going to give Cetol a try. I'm not trying to start a discussion about pros or cons, but I see that there are a couple of types of Cetol finish. Which should I use?
My boat stays inside during the winter, outside (Indiana) during the summer. Sailed on fresh water only. I like the color of natural teak, but don't mind if it gets darker. I really want the best, most durable finish, using Cetol.
I have uploaded a picture from their website that indicates 4 different products (ignore the two non-Cetol products). Which should I use?
Everyone have a safe and fun 2019!!!!!!
cetol products.jpg

Thanks...…...Mike

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I use the natural teak ( 2 coats ) then put the clear gloss over it. I think it looks as good as varnish and is much easier to repair small dings during the season.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Agree with Michael. I applied 2 coats of natural and top coated with 2 coats gloss. Has lasted 5 years with continuous southern exposure. Hard to top that durability.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have used the Cetol product for years. I too like the look of the gloss finish over a few coats of the natural teak. However, I have learned the hard way that the gloss when wet can be very slick. So, I put the gloss on places I don’t step or grab, and just the natural teak on places I do.

Oct 21, 2015
Just the information I needed! Thanks all. Now out to buy some and get things coated. (I have till April, but I can always hope for an early spring!).
Thanks everybody...…...

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I used Cetol Marine (yellow label) on mine. It's not necessary, but I chose to sand mine completely smooth first. I think I did about 3 or 4 coats and I'm very pleased with the results. Going on 3 years now and holding up well. The first pic shows a heavily weathered crib board with prominent texture on the bottom, a couple of pieces on top that have been sanded, and also a finished piece.
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG

Oct 21, 2015
Looks VERY nice. My crib boards were rotted so I replaced with StarBoard. But I took all the wood off and will refinish it. The external pieces haven't been touched in literally decades, so I'm going to have to sand them down. Doing it all inside so I have time to do it right and hopefully it will last a few years!
Thanks...…….Mike

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Jacomo,
Very nice results! Definitely makes it easier and if you can get it off the boat and finish at home.