Golf Cart batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I have been reading Don Casey's book "Sailboat Electrics Simplified" and he recommends using 6V golf cart batteries as an economic alternative. I have never heard of any TSBB's using these batteries. Do any of you have any experience with these batteries on their sailboats?

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
Absolutely. I put two six volt units in our 26D and have greatly enjoyed the reserve provided. We have a 10 amp alternator on our 9.9 Honda, which keeps them charged to suit our use. Make sure you wire the two batteries together with a battery strap of suitable size, connecting the negative of one to the positive of another. Then connect your usage wires to the remaining positive and negative posts. The voltage is added by connecting them this way, so that you have 12 VDC with the reserve of two batteries.

JDK

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
I have been toying with that idea. My cabin runs on GC-3 golf cart batteries, and they work great. Lots of reserve power. The only thing I can suggest is a GOOD battery charger. I have a Honda with (I think) a 6 amp alternator(unregulated) and am curious how anyone else has faired charging with that. Replacing 100a/h could take a LONG time....ugh. Anyone use a small Honda gen ....1000 watt type(powering onboard charger) with good results?

Status
Not open for further replies.