Getting abandoned boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Lancer 28 Chula Vista Marina, San Diego, Ca
So those of us in San Diego have noticed by now, that Anchorage 8 is finally no more. I know that the majority of the abandoned boats over there way taken up by South Bay boatyard, and what I'm wondering is, what are the steps to take to get my hands on one or more of those boats that were left to rot? Condition doesn't matter to me, but I'm just wondering if anyone's ever aquired a boat that way, and what I should be prepared to do to get one? I'm planning on starting up my own Armada...hehehe....:dance:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I'd start with the San Diego Bay Harbor Police. Next time you see then at the pier getting ready to go out, motor on over and chat with them.

Oct 15, 2008
That's a pretty good idea, I'll see about hitting them up as soon as I get off work today. I've got my eye on that old wooden 51-foot Ketch, that was out there. I would LOVE to get my hands on that and spend several months restoring it. For some reason, I have a sick obsession with renovating/restoring things, and after almost completing my Lancer, an all teak Ketch in dire need of TLC makes me drool.

Feb 17, 2006
Careful on the wooden boats. Marinas are removing them from their rosters. I just bought a '62 wooden Sportfisher. Did it to get the slip. LOL But the marina wants to get rid of all the wooden boats.

Good luck.

Oct 15, 2008
Yeah, I'd heard that nasty little rumor going around. Something about the marinas being concerned with "residue" from the hulls ending up in the water, e.g. "rotting wood" , lol. If I can manage to get my hands on it, I'd be willing to do the whole "jumping from one temp. anchorage to another" thing every 72 hours. That size and style of boat? TOTALLY worth it. At least I think so. You know which one I'm talking about, right? It was the very last boat on the western side of the anchorage right as you come out of the channel markers.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Justin if you are serious about rescuing a great abandoned boat check this one out at
31* 45' 30.80" N 116* 87'19.24" W (kind of like geocaching eh?)
You can see it on google maps or earthlink.
Saw this trimaran a couple of years ago in salvageable condition in Estero Beach bay just below Ensenada. I would have gone for but chose marital over maritime bliss, I'm such a weeny sometimes.
Frank

Feb 17, 2006
31° 45' 30.80" W 116° 87'19.24" N

Caguy... if you hold down the alt key and enter 0176 (alt+0176) you will get the superscript "o" for degrees. :)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Thanks Brian I've seen it done before and knew it was possible but never took the time to figure it out. Tried it just now and when I hit the 1 key the screen paged up. Now thanks to you I will spend the rest of the evening trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Feb 17, 2006
LOL! Keep the alt key down until all the numbers have been entered. :D

Oct 15, 2008
Holy crap man! I went to google map and couldn't figure out how to punch in those coordinates, so I just started zooming in and skimming just south of Ensenada, and BLAMMO! There she was. How big is that thing? It would be fun to fix up, but I'd probably part with it after restoring. Really got my heart set on a 50+ Ketch.

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
There's an outfit that sells donated boats on E-bay. Boat Donation Ministry's, something like that. They are not free, but many of them are almost free...I'll see if i can find the link and post it.. People donate their boats to get rid of them and this outfit posts them on E-bay..

Status
Not open for further replies.