Genoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Been a lurker of the web site for sometime. Going through the process of boat hunting. I did have one question for the group. Considering a C310 with a in mast furling for the main. Any opinion of the 150 Genoa? Not into racing, but here on the Long Island sound the summer winds can be short lived.

P

Pete Peterson

Good compromise

For my C320, I went with the 135 jib. I later bought a light air drifter, which is basically a 185 jib useful for both upwind sheeted in (up to 10 knots wind) and downwind poled out (up to 20 knots wind). I suppose the 150 is a good compromise if you only plan on having one foresail.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
150 for C310

I have the standard 135% on mine, and it seems to have plenty of overlap. Seems to be sufficient in light air. I don't think I would consider a 150% for myself. I already get some back winding of the main when the wind gets up above 12 knots or so. Maybe if the local winds were always drifting conditions I might reconsider.

Feb 21, 2007
- - Quantico, VA
Get the 150

From what I have heard from the Hunter owners who have the furling main get the bigger jib. I have a dutchman rig and love the performance of my main, but one guy with a hunter 33 and furling main stated he does not even use his main all the time as it is somewhat worthless. I also took a diesel maintenance class with the Hunter dealer in Deltaville, VA and when they were asking about classes they should give, most of the hunter owners wanted a class on how to best use the furling main to get some performance out of it. So a big genoa is a big advantage. For really light air I have a small drifter (about the same size as my 135 genoa) for really light air - plus by the rules here I can use it as a dual headsail and go in the non-spinnaker class for racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.