Gas storage in dock box

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
Can you have a few gallons of mixed 2 stroke fuel in a dock box. I am assuming it would have 2 vents near the top. I live near central Missouri. I just have a internal tank on my outboard and I don’t want to have anything on the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Is your insurance paid up, does it have good liability coverage?

I see most people leaving it on the boat in an exposed container so that no fumes are trapped. If there is a fire and your dock box goes up who is impacted. The doc box has its own set of fumes from your paint, cleaners etc. and if by chance you open it while a neighbor is smoking or make a spark when opening the lock what will happen?

Just some thoughts :)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I leave two five gallon of premix plastic ( California compliant, cost twice as much) containers in my camper shell all the time and if I do not use it I pour it in the truck for the pull home. ( 100:1)
Leave it in your car's trunk in a metal container with the vent closed.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
With the containers having the proper amount of vapor space they will probably be ok. Vents on the top are useless for hydrocarbon vapors unless you have them also on the bottom where the vapor is.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
It is good to be cautious but no need to be freaked out. If the gas is in a proper container in good condition and there is ventilation at the bottom of your box your not likely to have issues. The big concerns are during refueling particularly with a hot engine, spills, and static electricity. Sheds and garages all over the country would be exploding and raining down parts of gas cans, lawn mowers, weed eaters and blowers if just storing gas were such a conflagration danger. Be wary and don't let it bite you in the ass but no need to be paranoid.

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
Thanks for your replies. It all helps to give me ideas.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I was looking for information on dock boxes and came across this. I would also suggest reading your lease.

My guess is storage in the dock box would not go over well.....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think my marina slip contract prohibits storing flammables in the dock box.

I do have an empty diesel can in mine though (diesel is a combustible liquid).

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I often store a 5 gallon plastic jug of premixed gas in my boats cabin. It's one of the newer, vent less ones. The cabin doesn't smell like gas and so far the boat hasn't gone up in smoke. I'm sure the coast guard might have something to say if I were ever boarded