Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.
Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away
Based on the port side, the track bolts are covered up by the liner. Do you know if it is through bolted or are there plates glassed into the deck?If you can not see water coming from the sail track bolts inside then I would work on the stanchions first. On most boats they are used to stop the boat, or haul one up onto the boat. They are not designed for this use. The deck connections are flexed and the bedding is dislodge.
Sounds like you have 310 #1! It looks to me like the track bolts go into a plate glassed in the deck. So, if it’s leaking the water must be going through the deck to the edge or completely through the deck onto the liner and running down and out.jssailem is correct in that you will see water on the bolts for the genoa track. Has taken me about 8 years but I finally stopped the leakage around them without removing the track. Did it one bolt at a time using lifecaulk but my main problem was doing it incorrectly. Once I watched some Youtube videos and realized where the water can seep in it was easier to seal that area using Q-tips and lifecaulk. Regarding chainplates I had the same issue and tried to repair it myself with no success. Finally had a rigging inspection and replacement of most standing rigging plus new chainplates and the leak went away. The rigger I used (out of Jax) uses lifecaulk for all his jobs.
Do you have a Catalina 310? If there are nuts on the bottom, they are hidden by the interior liner. Thanks for the Qtip tip!Finally getting back to this. What I will describe will sound very basic and simple so I don't know why it took me so long except semi-retiring and spending more time on the boat definitely helped. First identify which bolts are leaking either by seeing water on them, or stains around them or below them on the cushions. That was pretty easy to identify. Then realize that any leakage will occur in the first inch from the top. Unscrew the leaking bolt(s) and remove them by either unscrewing them or tap them out with a hammer. Clean them up as much as possible. Using a Qtip put caulking material inside the hole trying to seal off where the track meets the decks. Put caulking on the bolt in the same spot and then plenty of caulk on the top of the bolt where it meets the track. Then push the bolt straight in and screw the the nuts on from the inside. You obviously need 2 people for this operation. The key is to NOT turn the screws at all when reinstalling just turn the nuts from inside while someone holds the bolts with a screwdriver. Make them snug but not overly tight. After it dries for 24 hours then you can tighten them more. Or if you see leakage you can try tightening them. I left mine semi-tight for a few weeks and then tightened them later. Like I said it is pretty basic but it took me years to figure this out. Good luck.
Yes I have a 1999 model, hull #1. The nuts on thee bottom of the Genoa track on my boat aren't hidden. They are easily accessible. There is wood trim in front of them but they are directly behind that and open. Hopefully yours are too.Do you have a Catalina 310? If there are nuts on the bottom, they are hidden by the interior liner. Thanks for the Qtip tip!
Thanks so much. I’ll check today. That would be a blessing to have them accessible. Very cool you have #1Yes I have a 1999 model, hull #1. The nuts on thee bottom of the Genoa track on my boat aren't hidden. They are easily accessible. There is wood trim in front of them but they are directly behind that and open. Hopefully yours are too.
Somewhere between hull #1 and hull #281, Catalina stopped through bolting the sail track. In my 2004 310 the sail track is not through bolted. Therefore, it must be bolted into threaded plates glassed into the deck.Thanks so much. I’ll check today. That would be a blessing to have them accessible. Very cool you have #1
It’s likely that the spots where the track is bolted (either thru or into a plate) do not have any core, so the moisture meter may not tell you anything. But it’s worth checking around the chain plates, because they are liable to leak, and it’s probably cored there. The fix is to pull them, dig out the wet cord, fill with epoxy, reinstall, and reseal. Butyl tape is a great sealant for that job, and many others.Somewhere between hull #1 and hull #281, Catalina stopped through bolting the sail track. In my 2004 310 the sail track is not through bolted. Therefore, it must be bolted into threaded plates glassed into the deck.
We had a lot more rain and between storms, I removed the starboard fixed windows and rebedded them both with 3M high hind tape and Dow 795. Could have been better at caulking but they are now solid and don’t leak. As I did not have 2” more water in the galley bins today, it is likely there was a window leak causing the galley bins to fill up. I have a moisture meter and will check around the sail track to see what’s up there. Thanks to all for your input along the way.