Furler wrapping around forestay

Jul 31, 2019
Catalina 22 Sheboygan
Hello all, new sailor, first post. I have a Cat22 1973
So I'm pretty sure I have this all rigged up wrong. This is whats happening.
Went out sailing and unfurled the jib and the dang thing wrapped around the forestay. Got it furled. Unfurled again, this time it didn't wrap but wrapped again during furling. The drum on the furler up at the mast is wrapping around my 2nd forestay.

I learned today that I have a cdi flexible furler and the forestay is inside of the furler. Thing is, this is an older furler and I don't really trust the forestay in it which is why I added the 2nd forestay in front of the furler. I'd like to keep the 2nd forestay just for piece of mind if I could.
Any ideas??
After I took these pictures I went over to the boat and figured out how to tighten the turnbuckle inside the drum. It took out some flex but the furler still looks like it is still sagging too much.
How tight is too tight? Hand tighten then a couple more turns with a wrench?

Thanks!!
Peter
20190731_115407.jpg
20190731_115438.jpg
20190731_115340.jpg

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Catalina 22 Mark Twain Lake MO
Appears the new stay also needs some pins in the turnbuckle to keep it from backing out.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
That furler looks really, really loose. I can't imagine it would ever work well with that much slack in it, and if it did furl and unfurl the sail shape would be awful.

If you really think you need a backup forestay I would make the furler really tight and keep the backup just slightly loose.

But mostly I would make sure the furler / stay is good and lose the backup!

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
It's quite probable that the furler cannot be properly tensioned due to 'spare' forestay' contacting the CDI furler drum. To fix this you will likely need to un-clip the drum at the base and tension up the turnbuckle that exists inside (remove the shackle under the drum then access the inner workings oi the drum (Turnbuckle). If you have it, or can find it on the internet, CDI's owner's manual gives you good instructions on how to do this). Won't take too many turns to get it right.
You may also not need the additional shackle to connect the drum to the bow fitting. I attach mine directly and that may be enough to get the tension you need, which might prevent the need to adjust the turnbuckle i mentioned above.
But eliminating the existing forestay means dropping the mast. No other way to do that. The CDI has a wire forestay that runs all the way up to the header. It is plenty strong to hold the rig and do its thing. One note : if the furler was 'inherited' with the boat, and it's a '73, check the condition of the wire at the header. They can fray and might fail. You can get replacements easily on the internet (measure first to know what you need to order). Easy to install a new wire - slips easily down (needs gravity) from the top when the mast is 'down'.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You should simply replace the stay inside the furler, and remove the superfluous one you added.

The stay inside the furler is not really part of the furler itself. When you install a CDI furler you simply modify the existing forestay if needed, then install the CDI furler on top of it.

I would drop the mast, remove the forestay that is hidden inside the CDI curler, replicate it with a new one, and reassemble.

You may even be able to use the extra one and modify it as needed.

Contact CDI for advice. They are good people.

They have manuals for download and service parts like bearings in case you need them

https://www.sailcdi.com/flexible-furlers

Edit: when done you should tune your shrouds and stays. The mast should be raked to the stern slightly, centered from side to side, and be correctly tensioned. Search the c22 forum here, I posted info a while ago, with links.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I replaced my forestay 2 years ago, and I have the same CDI furler. Not really difficult at all, I bought a new forestay pre-made from Catalina Direct. Just lower the mast, disconnect the top & bottom of the old forestay, and replace with new. Be sure to be careful when taking apart the CDI furler - there are a few washers that are easy to forget on re-assembly. Be EXTREMELY careful that you remember to put cotter rings on the forestay at the bottom turnbuckle. The bottom can be easy to forget, because you are also thinking of re-assembly of the CDI at the same time. If you forget, the mast will eventually fall down... Good luck-

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
You have " Halyard wrap" . It happens when the jib halyard is in the same angle as the as the forstay. You will need to install a pad eye on the front of the mast just below the mast head but above the furling drum so when you tension the furling system the halyard is pulled at at least a 15 to 20 degree angle towards the mast ,then go's through the eye to the mast head and into the block down the mast.
It's a very common mistake. I did it my self.
The stay should be inside the furling system. and tensioned correctly. At that point you can just your furling system according to wind conditions. Slack for light winds and tight for higher wind.
Also untension the furling system when not sailing to keep from stretching your head sail out.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It happens when the jib halyard is in the same angle as the as the forstay.
The CDI "halyard" (if you want to call it that) is inside the furler foil extrusion. It is a custom made line that goes from the drum at the bottom of the furler, into a slot in the foil, then through that slot up to a fitting with an internal block, at the top of the foil extrusion.
It then comes down to the top of the headsail.

Unlike a conventional halyard, at no point does the CDI furler "halyard" run to the mast.

The custom line is only slightly longer than the foil itself. Because of this, to lower the sail with a CDI you usually attach a messenger line to the end of the "halyard"

It is not a halyard in the conventional sense

@DrJudyB is correct

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I have been wrapping the spin halyard around the CDI furler often this year. I have to re-tension the halyard before every sail and carefully and slowly let the genoa out. I do not know why the halyard gets slack. Could just be temperature as this began when the temperatures in NY got to 100. While the CDI has it's own halyard, the boat still has a jib and spin halyard. OK after tension on the unused halyards.