Full or partial batten main

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Fisher

I am replacing the main sail on my 88 28.5. Some brands are recommending a full batten sail, others are saying partial is better. Any thoughts? Boat is sailed on the Ohio river 60/40 cruise/race in wind speeds 8 to 20 mph. I would like to increase speed and already have a 150 genoa. Thanks

A

Alex

Both..

Hunter used to offer standardly the fully battens main on their newer (about 93 and up) mainsail, very important to support the very roachy main , the main 'engine' of such-B&R- rig configuration . Lately they moved to partial fully batten: the upper 2 fully battens , the lower ones (mostly , additional 2) partial lenght ones .The later , I think ,is a good compromise which still retains the most of sail shape, but makes it eassier to handle the sail. This issue is less cardinal-but still beneficial- if your main is not the biggest sail of the two , or if it doesn't have a significant roach. Even so , to improve racing , I will go for the second option ; it can support a sail with more roach than your present one ( but always limited by your backstay position..). this roach benefits are a) more sail area b) better airflow on the sail , especially on beating. Enjoy your new sail.

M

Mark - UK sailmakers

batten length

Unless your main has a very full roach (and the 28.5 doesn't) one of the best combinations is a full length top batten (for shape and roach projection) with the rest being max. IMS length. The lower battens are quite long, and this would save the weight aloft while having good durability. Since most boats with a backstay will have a main that conforms to IMS and PHRF girth limits, there is really no need to have full length lower battens. Mark.

R

rick crockett

go for it

i added a new main with a large roach and two full battens on top, two lower at an extended length. i race often and i' glad i made these modification good luck and good sailing

R

Ron

Full Battens easy to trim

I purcased a North Fully battened main two years ago. In wind speed below 25 knots the boat accelerates quickly and is easier to trim than partial battens. The full battens help form a better sail shape giving you a wider angle of proper trim. Be careful with the roach of the sail. Another 28.5 in my area has a fully battened main and he has to force the battens over the backstay in light air tacks. This guy is a speed nut and his boat is a rocket. Also with your 150 genoa as wind speed aproaches 20 knots you will be overpowered. My genoa is a 140 and at 20 knots I have to do some serious furling. overall the full battens will make your boat faster and easier to keep trimed when cruising. It's a no brainer GO FOR IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.