Fuel Tank Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arthur Herrick

One of the problems with auxiliary diesel sailboats is that the engine is run so little. This means that it takes you 3 years to empty a fuel tank. Current wisdom says to keep the tank full to minimize condensation, which results in algal blooms in your tank. My main question is, how well does diesel fuel age, when you're only replacing a third of it every year. I assume that a biocide such is 'Bio-Con' will prevent that black crud from developing in any water condensate. Any comments?

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
I simply replace my fuel supply every Spring.

Every Spring I pump out the remaining fuel supply and repace it with fresh diesel (with anti-crud additive of course...) Never had any problems with sediment or algae, my filters seem forever clean and the expense of 10 gallons of diesel once a year is certainly not an issue.

R

Ron Doescher

Fuel Tank Pumpout

Question: How do you safely/legally dispose of 30 or so gallons of diesel fuel?

F

F. Yaskin

Fuel Oil!

Put it in your, or another grateful recipient's home heating oil tank.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
In my case it's not exactly 30 gallons!!!

We have a facility in the marina area which collects used engine oil for recycling, and also any other oil/fuel or solvent which can be left there for pick up as long as it's in reasonably sturdy closed containers. Since I have cats, I use the large cat litter plastic containers with a screw top. I understand that it might be a bit more difficult in some ares. The fuel oil option suggested before is perfect for the colder sections of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.