Free Catalina 22 How to operate swing keel?

Nov 8, 2015
Coronado coronado 23 Lake Conroe
A fellow boat owner at the marina we use for our coronado 23, has neglected his boat for Several years. Yesterday he gave it to us, just take over the slip monthly payment. So now we have two sailboats, Coronado 23 and a Catalina 22. What have we done.

It is not in terrible condition mainly needs a good cleaning and some TLC.

The winch on the keel is working, I cranked it one rotation in a clock wise manner. But how do i reverse it to lower the keel? I cant find any video showing the operation.

Any help is appreciated. We will be selling the Catalina once it is sea worthy.

Rob

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
If it's the original clutch style winch then you just crank it ccw. Will it not turn in that direction?

Mar 4, 2016
Catalina 22 Clearlake, Calif.
I went through this a month or so ago on my new (to me) 1979 Cat. I am very careful of not forcing things and thought that the winch would not turn counter clock wise. I was ready to take it apart when I did find a youtube video that shows turning it to lower. Cranking it up, there is an internal brake system that keeps it from unraveling if you let go. That system makes it feel like you cant turn the other way to lower. It just takes a little force (not a lot) to loosen the brake and it went down like I expected. Unless it is seized up, just use a bit of pressure counter clock wise and it should go. best of luck. ____Grant.

Mar 4, 2016
Catalina 22 Clearlake, Calif.
Sail the cat for a while. You might sell the Coronado. have fun. ____Grant.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Sounds like a great/rare opportunity to compare and keep the one best for you. I'd be interested in your review.

Pics?