Forward latch dogs

Aug 2, 2020
Catalina 22 Dog River, AL
I am doing some repair/replacements on my '88 Cat 22. Purchased a set of the Bomar latch dogs from CD. They are labeled Left and Right. I assumed that they were labeled for installation from the inside of the cabin. Right is starboard and lefts is port. When trying to install them, it appears to me that the labels indicate you are standing on the fore deck, looking at the hatch. Left is starboard and right is port?

Does anyone have any experience with this issue with the trapezoidal Bomar latch dogs?

Why would Bomar not label them port and starboard? Also, no directions were included with the product or at least a video on YouTube? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dunno.. since the hatches are generic and are sometimes mounted reversed or on one side, I guess they did left/right. But I have no idea if that is looking from opening side or hinge side. Interesting.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Since I have an 83 with the hatch in the foredeck where it should be I cannot comment except there should be no difference which side is which unless the hinge is on one side or the other. If right and left matters it should be in reference to standing at the command location in the cockpit on any boat. Left port etc.