Forestay Chainplate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
While the specific question is for a hunter 23, I'd appriciate input from other siilar sized boats. Does anyone know how the foreward chainplate is fixed to the hull? I noticed that, when there is no tension on the plate, it is very sloppy (not rigidly fixed to the hull) All I have is a stainless plate protruding from the bow, with a hole to attach link plates or the stay. Is this the way it should be, or is the plate ready to pull out!!?!

B

bill

mines tight

Mine forestay chain plate is very ridid, inconveinient, but tight. You may want to get it looked into.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
go research!

apparently, the u-bolt for the bow is also the attahcment for the forestay. My u-bolt is getting pretty sloppy - thus, the fore chan plate is sloppy. yuck. time to search for fixes.

r3403j

Mar 13, 2008
Hunter 23 Kerr Lake NC/ VA
Forestay and U-bolt attachment

Shortly after buying my h23 last year I noticed that the u-bolt(bow-eye) seemed to be pulling out of the gel/fiberglass. When I finally got the u-bolt(bow-eye) removed I discovered that when the boat was built and the bow-eye installed they missed hitting an aluminum strip that is inside the bow of the boat. You can access the bow-eye bolts from the little cubby hole located at the front of the v-berth. I suspect that the chain-plate for the forestay is attached to this aluminum strip also. Unfortunately I tried to repair the bow-eye with a block of wood that overlaps the alum. strip, but it is not sturdy enough and has caused additional damage to the glass and gel. Now that I plan to leave the boat at the lake over the summer I realize that I have no choice but to remove the bow-eye, do a complete repair to the bow and then redrill the holes from inside with an very long bit so that I'm certain to go through the aluminum backer this time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.