forepole lenght

Aug 25, 2021
Hunter 38 Piriápolis
Hi, I would like advise regarding which forepole ( dimensions) to buy for my Hunter 38.
Thanks.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not sure what you are looking for - whisker pole, spinnaker pole, ...?
If you aren’t familiar with the differences, there are plenty of links on the internet

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

I assume you want a "whisker" pole for your jib sail. Suggest going to the Forespar website to obtain the correct size for your sailboat and you can purchase pole, mast ring and stanchion, deck or mast whisker pole storage mounts.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021
Hunter 38 Piriápolis
Thanks for your advise, the purpose is to keep the jib open while sailing downwind.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The whisker pole should be the same length as the foot of the jib. As such, whisker poles are often telescoping so that you can adjust the length to match whatever size jib you are using that day if you have more than one.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
For a Hunter 38 Whisker Pole By Boat Model (forespar.com)

Based on J dimension of 12.07 ft (base of the foretriangle measured along the deck from the headstay to the mast)
Forespar model: LC 1--18 #401106 Whisker Pole, Line Control LC 10-18 EL-UXP, Piston Outboard End, Complete Pole, 33' Boat Max. (forespar.com)
Fixed mast mount: part # 332025 Fixed Mast Flange (forespar.com)
View attachment 197719
Just remember if you have a headsail larger than 100% you will need a longer whisker pole than the standard one for you boat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........if you have a headsail larger than 100% you will need a longer whisker pole than the standard one for you boat.
Great point!!. Suggest the OP confirm the whisker pole length matches your jib with Forespar or their dealer or non-Forespar whisker pole manufacturer........measure twice and buy once.