Flushing Outboard at Salt Water Slip

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Well, it has taken many trips to mechanics, dealers and the internet to finally find a device that does work for freshwater flushing of a typical Tohatsu 8hp. Long Shaft "New" Motor"
If you are not aware, all the less than 20HP Motors manufactured by whom ever are designed to be taken out of service knowing many of us in similar situations ( Slip and Salt Water ) have no manufactures freshwater flush access port that you can reach form the boat. Larger Outboards have hose connection you can reach form the boat while in a permanent slip.
We visited Tractor Supply and the "Farm" has the solution. This flexible plastic bag will fit an 8HP Tohatsu Motor, making the $32.00 Dollar attachment the manufacturer offers ( Flushing out of water or at home in a container ) a useless device for slip salt water mooring.
Photos are attached. We tried it the first time and it works beautifully, Now we can be assured of an extended life to the outboard that will now outlive me. Cost $18.00

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you have not done so, and I suppose you did but did not mention it, add Salt Away to your flush water. It will help keep the calcium deposits down. JMHO Nice find on the flush bag. My Yamaha 9.9 has the flush hose attachment.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well, it has taken many trips to mechanics, dealers and the internet to finally find a device that does work for freshwater flushing of a typical Tohatsu 8hp. Long Shaft "New" Motor"
If you are not aware, all the less than 20HP Motors manufactured by whom ever are designed to be taken out of service knowing many of us in similar situations ( Slip and Salt Water ) have no manufactures freshwater flush access port that you can reach form the boat. Larger Outboards have hose connection you can reach form the boat while in a permanent slip.
We visited Tractor Supply and the "Farm" has the solution. This flexible plastic bag will fit an 8HP Tohatsu Motor, making the $32.00 Dollar attachment the manufacturer offers ( Flushing out of water or at home in a container ) a useless device for slip salt water mooring.
Photos are attached. We tried it the first time and it works beautifully, Now we can be assured of an extended life to the outboard that will now outlive me. Cost $18.00

If you can, will you detail your procedure for flushing your motor using the flexible plastic bag. Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2021
Catalina by Jaguar (UK) Catalina 22 Swantown Marina, Olympia
John- looks like that'll work. I flush my 8hp Tohatsu after each use while in the saltwater slip using a standard 'clam shell' type outboard flushing attachment. I raise the motor and tilt it to make it possible to slip the flusher in place over the intake screens, then turn on the water and start the motor. I run for about 2 minutes then disconnect the fuel line and run till empty. I attach the flusher by leaning over the transom in the middle...the first time was the hardest, the rest have just become routine. Like you, I struggled finding a way to flush that works for me. At season end I run 'salt away' through it after I've got it home.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I use a bag too, as the 4hp I've got on my dinghy doesn't fit muffs well. (Dunno where the bag really came from - it was in the boat when we bought it)

Bag has a hose connection and straps to go over the motor. I attach the hose to the bag, toss it under the motor, turn the water on, start the dink motor, turn fuel valve off, wait for dink motor to stop (10 min or so), tilt the motor out, and remove everything.

Dink hangs on davits so once it's hoisted I rinse off the lower part of the motor again.

Mine looks kinda like this one (but I use it in the water):

MGA450-outboard-flush-bag-smallImageMain-515.jpg