Flotation Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Macgregor 26D Mosquito Lake, Cortland Ohio
In my Mac 26d I find foam in the storage bins under the forward berth, and a few pieces in the overhead above the sink. This does not appear to me to have adequate foam to keep her afloat if we capsize. Am I wrong, or is there more in the hull that I can't se?

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Actually, those aren't "storage bins" those are foam compartments. :)
There is more aft, above the aft berth. And yes, that should be able to float your boat, unless someone has removed some of that foam.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
The expression, whatever floats your boat, is true on a Mac. What floats a Mac is that foam. Best to leave it in place.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
IMHO:
the claim that Macgregors float, are mostly sales advertising...

will it float, probably. But I think it will be upside down, or just above the water. the cabin will be awash, and full of water.

It is much better than nothing. its is far easier to find you if you stay with a boat that not. OTOH, its not going to be dry or fun should it flood.

there is Styrofoam blocks in most of the empty areas of your boat.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
You need about 14 sq' of foam to keep your 26D afloat with all the stuff needed to sail. Ie: motor, gas, cushions, stuff, etc.
You can have mine. Its behind my shed. Full of mold! Ick!
I guess one could put it in plastic bags but I just don't want the mold anywhere near the boat.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
You need about 14 sq' of foam to keep your 26D afloat with all the stuff needed to sail. Ie: motor, gas, cushions, stuff, etc.
You can have mine. Its behind my shed. Full of mold! Ick!
I guess one could put it in plastic bags but I just don't want the mold anywhere near the boat.
How might we be proactive in preventing mold?

Nov 23, 2011
I'm being proactive by removing the things that harbor the mold on my boat. #1 foam blocks!
I need to get back inside it with the power washer. Then I plan to spray a Borax and water solution everywhere. Then let it sit for the winter. Power wash in the spring wipe all the bilge areas with asatone and paint with Interlux.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 25 Dana Point CA
Macgregor has always shown the boats as delivered with holes drilled in the bottom to sink them. With the normal rated crew, the boat will not sink. You will be wet, but she will stay decks above water. True for all models.

Unless you drop the keel I doubt she will turn turttle

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
may be true whilst relaxing in pool smooth water,but definately won't get those results in rolling seas with waves and wind. mostly just a feel good PR scam to help dad convince mom of the safety value so she will let him buy a boat for the family

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
ps: you can get more (free) blocks from northern tool. -they ship their trailers with it.

personally, I'd get the blue or pink insulation panels and cut them to size (closed cell foam).

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
personally, I'd get the blue or pink insulation panels and cut them to size (closed cell foam).
Those insulation panels are a good idea and not expensive. They float well as proven by my neighbor who put 3 layers of them beneath a wood deck for the whole family to sit on at the lake. Never discount redneck ingenuity :snooty:

Nov 23, 2011
The amount of closed cell foam needed will be different than the 14 cubic feet of open cell used from the factory.
You may need a fancy calculator.
(I think you need more closed cell foam for some reason...?)

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The amount of closed cell foam needed will be different than the 14 cubic feet of open cell used from the factory.
You may need a fancy calculator.
(I think you need more closed cell foam for some reason...?)
there has been discussions about this in the past, and it would be easy, yet time consuming to figure out what it would take given the displacement weight (positive or negative buoyancy) of fiberglass, aluminum and personal belongings in the water.... it wont take as much in a water ballasted boat as it would in a weighted keel boat..

what is easy to figure is the displacement weight of foam.... per cubic foot, it is about 62lbs in fresh water and about 64lbs in salt water. a full 14 cf would be 868 lbs.... which may float a MAC 26...

and personally, if I were ever to get into an unfortunate situation where I got to experience if the boat floats right side up, upside down, or sideways, I think I wouldnt be so concerned with any misrepresentations or how much hype may have been in the sales brochure as i would with how much flotation was in the hull and being glad of having something to hang onto until help arrives, with a strong possibility of salvaging the boat.
some folks have said in the past that they wouldnt want to save the boat, to let the insurance have it... but most people love the boat they own and if the boat is in good shape, then why not save it.... especially a boat as basic as our macs.... they dry out perfectly, unlike some boats with all the fancys and wood through out which would take a lot more work to put back into shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.