Flotation Compartments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo

May 30, 2009
2 22 Saranac Lake
We are interested in outfitting our sirius for cruising which may require the addition of some water tanks, lines and perhaps a fuel line. We understand that there are 3 main flotation compartments, one under the V-berth and the others under the quarter berth area on each side. Has anyone opened up any of these areas to know what is actually in there? Blocks of foam, injected foam, or is there any room to work inside these areas to route lines, etc??:confused:

Apr 12, 2007
Sirius 21 Barrie ON
Echo, are you from the Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks? I haven't been out that way since I was a young teenager, camping with my parents!! Beautiful area, and lots of lakes!!

To answer your question about flotation foam, I don't know. It's probably a type of spray in expansion foam. My previous boat, another Canadian made vessel by a different builder, had flotation foam that was some sort of expanding foam. I dug out a section to make an opening for a porta pottie.
I don't see anything wrong with trying to add comfort to your boat. If digging out some foam for storage, or water tanks, then go for it. I've often thought there's a lot of space under the V berth for "something";)
Good luck
Eric
S/V Windrush
Barrie ON

May 7, 2009
2 Sirius 21 Rideau Ferry, Ontario
flotation

I have a 78 Sirius and some of the bulkheads that contain the foam have had holes cut in them, sometimes I think this is to drain water from them in spite of the fact that they should not leak. I expect that the foam is foamed in place so fits pretty well. It's intended to keep the boat from sinking if it ever gets filled with water. I read that an early test during the development of the boat demonstrated that it does what it was designed to do. So before you cut into the foam for extra space realise that you will loose the flotation capability. How much you loose will depend on how much foam you remove. just a caution.

George

Echo, are you from the Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks? I haven't been out that way since I was a young teenager, camping with my parents!! Beautiful area, and lots of lakes!!

To answer your question about flotation foam, I don't know. It's probably a type of spray in expansion foam. My previous boat, another Canadian made vessel by a different builder, had flotation foam that was some sort of expanding foam. I dug out a section to make an opening for a porta pottie.
I don't see anything wrong with trying to add comfort to your boat. If digging out some foam for storage, or water tanks, then go for it. I've often thought there's a lot of space under the V berth for "something";)
Good luck
Eric
S/V Windrush
Barrie ON

Echo

May 30, 2009
2 22 Saranac Lake
Thanks!

I appreciate all your input! Yes, we are in the Adirondacks and it has been so much fun sailing our Sirius. There are many lakes around here and that is why we bought our Sirius as we can go sailing right after work and enjoy the evening. It takes us about 5 minutes to get to the boat and off we go! :D The wind can get a bit fluky when you go near some of the islands but it has been fun to get to know our new boat! We have not camped overnight yet with it but hope to soon...that is why we have all these questions as we try to get the boat ready for all we want to do!
I too am happy for this Sirius site :dance: and will give it a go also on the yahoo groups site. Thanks for the thoughts.
Happy sailing!

Status
Not open for further replies.