Fixing the deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
I have heard about this stuff called "Git Rot" Has anyone used it? I have found that I may have to use it. It seems that the wood under the tabernackle may be rotten. I have a screw that holds a bracket for the boom vang, and it goes through the deck, and it is letting water come in. Now I am thinking it may have so much water that it is rotting, and I have to get in there and harden it up. Anyone with experince???? Thanks,

V

vwjon-M25

git rot

I had a spot about the size of a saucer on my 25 and once I got it dried out git rot stiffened it right up. It took 3 or 4 doses as it would seem to fill up then soak in as it dried. I used the small size they have and had to mix bottle A with bottle B which made too much for what I was doing so a lot went to waste. I would buy the larger size next time and mix in smaller batches.

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Thanks, what steps did you

take to expose the wood? Did you cut away the gelcoat and fiberglass to match the dimensions of the affected area, or did you inject it in? Mine is under the tabernackle so if I pull all of the glass and gelcoat, I won't have to replace all of that I would just have to touch up the areas that show. Does that sound right? Thanks,

V

vwjon-M25

git rot

I drilled small holes through the outer layer and injected with a squeeze bottle.

J

J. Barrett

You're lucky

You are lucky if that is the only rot you have. On my 25 I don't think any PO had ever rebedded any of the deck hardware. I knew it was soft when I bought it but had no idea of the extent. I ended up paying about 3k to recore the deck. Any leak is a bad leak. I don't know if there is a recommended time period to re-bed fittings but I know I am keeping a close eye on mine. Ultimately I want to overbore the holes and epoxy them before re-installing the hardware. And yes, I could've bought another boat with the 3k and parted this one and not taken quite the hit but I already was attached to this one. I also could have done the re-core myself if only I had the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.