Fixed Portlight replacement on Passage 42

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
Hello everyone,
The large tinted acrylic portlights on our 1994 Passage 42 are badly crazed and I would like to replace them.

From reading other posts here I know they should be replaced with cast acrylic, held in with 3M VHB and caulked with Dow 795.

What I can't find is the thickness required and color/tint percentage.

Does anyone know exactly what thickness and color they are?

Can anyone recommend a vendor for this material, preferably whole sheets in the southeast US (or better, Florida?)

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
i just removed one yesterday to re seal it and they are a lot more than a piece of cut perspex! There is serious chamfering on the back side that will be a job for professionals. Getting it out was actually easier than i had expected- i used car windscreen removal tools.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
sorry- saw this too late- job finished but i did measure the perspex- it was 8mm thick

Jul 7, 2014
Interesting. What I'm finding from suppliers I've contacted here in the states is that their standard thicknesses go from 6mm = 1/4" nominal to 9mm = 3/8" nominal (and 12mm = 1/2" nominal). Is it possible it was 9mm? I'm not sure I'd want to go thinner than that.

I figured I'd go with 1/2" nominal (12mm/0.472") since there isn't really anything on the outside that would restrict the thickness if it was a bit thicker. My only concern would be the black ports that are fitted directly to the acrylic. I believe they are a customized shorter spigot depth so they can mount directly to the relatively thin acrylic vs to a boat hull.

It also seems that there are a set of standard colors that are commonly used for tinted acrylic. A couple of shades each of gray and "bronze" (a brownish tint). I'm probably going to need to get a set of samples to figure the color out, I'd like the color to match the existing Beckson hatches.

These definitely don't seem to be any kind of brown/bronze shade, so I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to either Gray 2064 (25% visible light) or Gray 2074 (13% visible light)... Just not sure how to pick between them without getting samples.

I found a copy of the factory build sheet for the P42 and it lists them like this, for example the aft hatch is described as "PLEX,24 3/4X24 3/4X1/2 AFT HATCH H42" That really makes it look like it's length x width x thickness so the "1/2" would be the thickness. No color I have also measured the companionway boards and they were also 1/2" thick.

I believe these are the black ports installed in the fixed ports from the build sheet: "5.0000 EA PORT-OPEN.BLK 4X14 WITH 5/8" SPIGOT"

I'm not familiar enough with these ports to know if a 5/8" spigot is enough for 1/2" mounting depth or not.

The fixed acrylic portlights I'm wanting to replace weren't listed on the build sheet, I'm guessing they were probably cut/shaped in the Hunter factory from sheets instead of ordered custom parts.

In case you wanted to see it yourself, this file is available in the Marlow-Hunter website files section here:

Jul 7, 2014
Following up for anyone who might need this information...

Color is 2074 (dark gray), nominal thickness is 3/8" (9mm).

To match the color I got a set of acrylic samples (ePlastics) that included all the common solar control tints. To measure the thickness I attached "L"-shaped cardboard extensions to digital calipers and stuck them through one of the Beckson ports.

Hope this helps someone looking for this info in the future...