First question......

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Can someone tell me what the approximate total height of the CAPRI 22 on a trailer is without the mast? Wondering if I could move the boat eventually into my detached garage....

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Minimum 24 feet, but mine was significantly more than that as the trailer hitch ball was not directly below the bow, but instead about 2 feet further away. Then there is the outboard bracket, and motor (if mounted on the boat at the time).

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
shnool said:
Minimum 24 feet, but mine was significantly more than that as the trailer hitch ball was not directly below the bow, but instead about 2 feet further away. Then there is the outboard bracket, and motor (if mounted on the boat at the time).
I assume you counted the mast?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Slartibartfass said:
Can someone tell me what the approximate total height of the CAPRI 22 on a trailer is without the mast? Wondering if I could move the boat eventually into my detached garage....
A nine-foot garage door "might" work. Much depends on the actual trailer setup you have. Measure it! Place a 2x4 on the mast step across the beam. Measure the distance from the ground on BOTH sides (ideally the measurements will be equal, but we do not live in an ideal world).

My garage door is the seven-foot variety and I cannot even attempt to get the Capri inside. I do a little better with my O'Day 19 that has a swing centerboard and sits low on its trailer.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Slartibartfass said:
I going to measure that tomorrow during the survey.
You need to measure. It depends on the trailer. My wing keel got into a 9' garage without issues. A Fin on a tall trailer may need 11 feet, who knows. My Com-Pac is 12' on its trailer with the mast.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Slartibartfass said:
without the mast?
if you include the mast, I'd say 30 feet for tall rig, which of course is the longest dimension of any trailerable.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
The boat on the trailer with the mast laying across is ~11 feet tall.

That not gonna fit into my garage. Wish I had a barn......

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
you mean like this? Wow that is an old picture (3 years ago!)

She emerged in spring looking like this:

11 foot on trailer with mast sounds a bit high, but maybe. My Capri 25 was about 11 feet 4", my doorway was 11' 8"

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Nice job..... Unfortunately I Iive in a suburban-urban environment and don't have the space on my 66x100 lot for a barn......

That will certainly limit me somewhat in doing work myself on the hull/bottom....

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
we lucked out, pole barn was a bonus building on our lot... we are 4 miles from the city, and have 32 acres. It allows us to keep our horses home.

But I've spent much of my life on a 1/4 acre lot or less, so I get it.
Sometimes an understanding buiilding owner works too (for winter storage).