First Lesson Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Geniesse

We have just purchased a 93 Hunter 35.5 that is in great shape. A test sail and survey revealed nothing to be concerned about. Our first two days on the water were great except for the discovery we made upon our return the second day. Yes - the head was pretty smelly, and upon further review, the smell was coming from the bilge, which was a mixture of brown and white liquid. We started the cleanup and discovered that the rear cabin did not smell all that great either, and that some of this smelly product had actually splashed up throught the rear access boards, and thru capillary effect, contaminated most of the rear cushions. We have since pumped out the system, and added KO. Other issues noticed were ooze coming out of the vent on the starboard side. Based on posts I have read here, I think we should do the following: -Close the seacock on the head while underway -periodically check that the bilge connection coming from the rear cabin is free (we think it plugged, and combined with an overflowed tank, caused the sludge to back up into the aft area, and reek havoc.) -Spray water down the vent on the starboard side to unplug anything that might have plugged it. -Find something to remove the hard to remove stain on the side of the boat - will fiberglass cleaner work? -Install a tankwatch - are these worth the effort? Hard to install? -Learn alot more about how to maintain the head or -As a yachtsman friend said, if anyone other then the owners use the head, toss them overboard. Any advice would be appreciated regarding our above plan of action. Thanks, 1st lesson learned.

J

Justin Wolfe

Had same w/ 35.5

You better check the hose & connections. On ours there was a leak that created exactly what you described. I didn't do the repair, but I believe the discharge hose from head to the tank was replaced (fittings too?). Find the source of your leak before you get carried away with cleaning the cushions and trying to eliminate the smell.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I say you have all the bases covered

Installing a Tankwatch III is not (usually) difficult. If your tank has a round 3" inspection port, the sending unit just replaces the cap. If it doesn't, you'll need to buy a 3" flange kit from Sealand too, and cut a hole in the top of the tank to install it so you can install the Tankwatch. If your tank is plastic, there's a better alternative: the Gaugetronic gauge (same thing as the AcuGauge--same mfr, different brand name). It's a foil strip that applies to the outside of the tank...nothing inside the tank to clog or fail. Less expensive than the Tankwatch III...can handle up to 4 tanks...works on any tank material except metal...WM carries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.