First 310/310R opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G. Rasmussen

I am considering purchasing a 310 or 310R. I am curious what opinons are on this boat. I am looking for a boat that is comfortable cruising with a young family, however, have ambitions of racing competitively on Lake Michigan. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, what are the handling characteristics between the 310 and the 310R? How significant are the performance differences? Thanks GR

C

cs

go for "r"

Can't compare to a std 310 since haven't sailed one but can give some thoughts on my 92 310r owned since 4/99.Basic differences are approx 3ft taller mast,5'11" keel, tiller steering.Less obvious but very expensive to do after the fact are upgraded sizes on all winches(all are 2 speed lewmars),windward sheeting traveler,adjustable jib sheet cars,tuffluff on forestay,double spreader rod rigging. Performance is fantastic especially in pointing mode and surprising fast dead downwind w/ jib on whisker pole(i'm not in spin class) Crusing w/ family offers all the same amenities as the std 310 although traveler is in the way which we fix at anchor by just tieing it off al the way to one side.In short, there is no way I'd be interested in the std model unless the r wasn't available.

Status
Not open for further replies.