Fire Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
We are planing a trip to Block Island via the south shore of Long Island next summer and would like to stop at Fire Island. What facilities are there and what are the waters like, we draw 5.5 feet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
I've been in the Great South Bay a couple of times. I draw 6' and it is very easy to run aground almost anywhere. I've been to Fire Island with my boat, but I don't have enough local knowledge to help with the ever changing bottom arrangement. I prefer sailing the north side of the island where water depth can exceed 100'. Maybe there's another skipper here who has first hand knowledge and can offer some suggestions.

Jul 25, 2005
- - -
From looking at my chart....

I don't see any marinas on the ocean side of Fire Island and you might have trouble in the bay drawing 5.5 feet. Hopefully others will have more knowlage. You might want to post this on the "Ask all Sailors" forum. -- Jeremy

B

Bob Fliegel

Sounds Like A Great Trip!

As I am sure you have seen from the charts (specifically NOAA Chart 12352) the intercoastal waterway runs through the Great South Bay. The western end of the bay is realtively shallow and you would be confined to the I/C, or as we sometimes refer to it as the state boat channel. The the good news is that along the I/C there are some good anchorages for an overnight stop. I have been to Zach's Bay (east of the Jones Inlet) and a cove in Gilgo Beach that were nice. Both these anchorages are on the Jones Beach Island. On the next island to the east, Fire Island, there are two Federal Parks, each with their own marinas Sailor's Haven, in the middle of the island, and Watch Hill, on the eastern end of Fire Island. I have sailed to Block Island once and wasn't very impressed. On the other hand, I consider Sailors Haven, and the neighboring town of Cherry Grove, with its party atmosphere and restaurants, to be about as close to paradise as you are going to get up in the north east. The beaches on Fire Island are among the finest in the world due to the fact there are no roads and only those who live their, boaters or those who can afford the ferry, can enjoy them. Let me suggest that during your passage you at least enter the Great South Bay for an overnight joust to check things out. If I can be of any other help let me know at rpfcpa@yahoo.com Regards, Bob Fliegel

C

c

I second..

Bob's opinion. However, Zach's Bay is fairly silted this year. There are still several inlets on the S. side of the Great South bay, off the ICW, where a keel boat can anchor safely and they are very sheltered. Apart from draft, one of the main problems is mosquitoes...

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
I forgot to mention I need 60 foot clearance for the mast. Will this also be a problem?

B

Bob Fliegel

Bridge Clearance

The bridges, at least along the Intercoastal, open so mast height should not be a problem. I think this season things have changed regardning bridge opening times. I think it is something like every hour on the hour - or something like that. "C" made a good point about the insects. I have not had much problems with mosquitoes, however, for a three (3) week period during July/August the greenhead fly problem is unbearable. I don't even bother to sail during this period. Regards, Bob

B

Benny

Destination?

Is Block Island your real destination or is the planning and executing the sailing trip your real destination? I'm guilty of sailing to insignificant places just to enjoy the sail. I have sailed the Long Island Sound and we had the most enjoyable trip visiting places like Northport NY, Port Jefferson NY, New Haven Conn, Mystic Conn, Montauk NY, Greenport NY and Sag Harbor. We did not get to NYC so we'll have to get back. My point is that rather than fight the ICW going to Block you may consider going through thand e Sound. It doesn't matter if you have done it before there are still many places to explore (Did I tell you the story about highjacking a butcher at a Grocery store in Nyantic, Conn to drive us back to the Marina after a storm?)and the sailing is just great.

Jan 5, 2004
Hunter 33 Huntington NY
Bridge

Coming in the Fire Island Inlet, you will clear the single span 65' Robert Moses fixed bridge. Continuing east and hugging the inner shoreline of Fire Island, there is plenty of water for you in the East Channel. Anchor off Atlantique or Ocean Beach, or like Bob says, hit Sailor's Haven or Watch Hill. The West Channel will take you straight up to the vicinity of the Bay Shore Marina off of R #2, with fuel, pump out, and restaurants. Also plenty of water in the North Channel, but stay east of the double span Robert Moses Causeway - it has a reported clearance of 60', and the water gets shallow on the west side of that bridge. An up to date chart and/or chartplotter is a must, as is a reliable depth finder. But the Great South Bay is a nice place to spend a few days. When you're ready to continue to Block, you will have to go back out the Fire Island Inlet to the Atlantic and head east. Do not attempt to enter the Moriches Inlet. I would use caution at the Shinnecock Inlet - I have heard that sailboats will duck in there for a night on the way out to Block, but I don't have any knowledge of it, and it does get shallow in there. If you have time on the way to/from Block, Benny is right about Greenport, Sag Harbor, Pt Jefferson, Montauk, and Northport. To that, I would add Mattituck, Huntington, Oyster Bay, and Norwalk. And of course, coming down the East River through the city is unbelievable. Just make sure you read the tide charts and go with the flow, otherwise you will be fighting up to a 5.5 kt current. Have fun....

A

alan

Fire Island is great, BUT...

...at 5 1/2 feet you will be very tight in places. I would pick something and then call in with reservations. What's your budget, kids, time frame? At Sailor's Haven and Watch Hill (National Sea Shore), as pointed out, you can anchor and dink in or dock. They are about a two and three hour trip (respectively)East from Fire Island Inlet as you will have to head North then South again because of skinny water. Not sure of the depth in the marinas but outside of the channels it gets shallow. They have water, shore power, pump-outs, snack bars and gift shops. Cherry Grove may not be suitable for younger kids at night, during the day is fine, it's also a nude beach. I personally like Kismet as the $60 for overnight dockage can be used at The Inn Restaurant. It has no services but liquor store, market, two restaurants which are hopping, play ground, tennis courts and oh yeah, beach. You can also anchor out and dink in as the Western end of it is part of the National Sea Shore. Lots of traffic at all hours though and there are some old hotel ruins SUBMERGED close to the bay side beach. It's just East of Fire Island Inlet. There are other towns between Kismet and Sailor's Haven, be prepared to pay a premium especially weekends, have a CONFIRMED reservation for weekends. The State Boat Channel is an enjoyable strait cruise through essentially marshland dotted with small islands. Very narrow but deep enough. On many days you can even sail it. As pointed out lots of nice overnight anchorages, no services though. A few town beaches have marinas but have no idea if they are deep enough and may not take boats from out of town. You would access it from Jones Inlet and need to call for a bridge opening at the Meadowbrook Parkway soon after as you head East towards Fire Island and The Goose Creek Bridge at the Wantagh Parkway three miles further East. Now you will sail about ten miles East to the Captree Bridge and have it open where you will be right by the Fire Island Inlet. Stay away From Zach's Bay! If Bob's or my boat ground (26/260 respectively) we can get out and push (1'9" draft with rudders up). The furthest Town East before you would have to detour North is Ocean Bay Park. Ocean Beach and Ocean Bay Park are also very active day and night. See below for links to several marinas. I have been to Kismet, Flynns (Ocean Bay Park), and Sailor's Haven. By the way, the bottom is sand and muck, very forgiving. alan http://www.flynnsfireisland.com/ http://www.thebusinessneighborhood.com/sitecreator//tequilajacks/default.asp?page_no=5 Many of these guys know more about Fire Island than I; http://www.boated.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=25

Status
Not open for further replies.