Finally

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 36cc Fort Myers
I've had 40' boats and smaller. 15' Montgomery, 16' Compac, and NOW a 1975 22' Catalina. I've had a Catalina 34' that we bought new, so I know of the quality and LOVE the layout of the 22' and slide out galley. She'll be hauled out tomorrow for a bottom job (haven't seen her bottom yet!). Then I'll try out my NEW Tohatsu 5 HP. (I guess Catalina suggests 4 - 6 HP). Should use .25 GPH at 85% of hull speed - 23 MPG or more/2 Gallons in an 8 hr. day. Can't wait.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I too have recently acquired a Cat 22 with a motor that was basically a counterweight. I purchased the 6HP Tohatsu Sail pro which comes with a alternator and long shaft. Is yours only the 5hp, I did not think they made a 5 just a 4 and a 6. Mine ran for about 5 hrs and only used a little over a gallon including letting it run dry each time i docked it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Congrats on the C22 !

A new smaller outboard is in my future plans. I have a 15hp 2 stroke Merc that's almost new condition, but it's too big for the boat.

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 36cc Fort Myers
I too have recently acquired a Cat 22 with a motor that was basically a counterweight. I purchased the 6HP Tohatsu Sail pro which comes with a alternator and long shaft. Is yours only the 5hp, I did not think they made a 5 just a 4 and a 6. Mine ran for about 5 hrs and only used a little over a gallon including letting it run dry each time i docked it.
4,5,6 are all the same just larger carb jets for more power. Catalina suggests 4 - 6 so I went in the middle. The sail pro is a great one, and I debated. I also read a small solar panel is a lot cheaper and charges better than an alternator (only charges 6 A at WOT) My Catalina is in the yard, glassing over old thru hulls, putting in new, rudder repair, bottom paint, (and keel de-rusting/protectant) and buff and wax. And painting new boot and top stripes. $$$$$. It probably needs a new set of sails later. That's great to here the economical gas usage, I was figuring 4 hrs. per gallon, but now looks like more!

Where I dock ($50/M) I need the 2' draft.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Ok Atrometer, you've let the cat out of the bag about your restoration and/or upgrades. You know we like pics, care to share how things are going?

Jerry

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 36cc Fort Myers
Maintainance

Ok Atrometer, you've let the cat out of the bag about your restoration and/or upgrades. You know we like pics, care to share how things are going?

Jerry
I'm not at all handy like many people on this site, so she is in the boatyard ($$$$). I stopped by once and they were gaining and should be done soon,