Finally: A tow vehicle

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
After 4 months of working with an auto dealing friend, I finally bought the replacement for my 18 year old Ford F-150. I got everything I wanted and more in this package: 2013 F-150 supercab XLT with the towing package, back up camera, 5.0 liter V-8, trailer sway control, built in trailer brake control and more goodies than I ever thought they could cram into a truck. Now it's off to the insurance agent, tag office, etc. before I can put her on the road.....Well, that and forcibly removing the University of Georgia hitch cover that's locked onto the hitch and no one knows where the key is......:cussing:

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Nice, I got a 2014, first truck with power windows for me, but I spent about an hour trying to find the voltmeter and transmission dipstick.

Dec 5, 2011
Nice, I got a 2014, first truck with power windows for me, but I spent about an hour trying to find the voltmeter and transmission dipstick.

Hah!! I feel your pain CT! That 5.0 is one smooth engine compared to the '97 4.6 l engine I had in my old truck. I had look twice to find the engine oil dipstick and found out last night that transmission fluid can only be checked from underneath the vehicle....with a wrench....Oh well, I am liking the 4 wheel disc brakes and every other option though. I had no idea this thing monitors transmission fluid temperature for you.....

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Well, that and forcibly removing the University of Georgia hitch cover that's locked onto the hitch and no one knows where the key is......:cussing:
Get that thing off ASAP. LOL

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Congratulations Slim. Glad to hear you got one. Nice looking truck !

As for the transmission level testing. That's becoming more common.
They just don't want owners working on them anymore.
Consider yourself lucky. Some vehicles have factory filled and sealed transmissions now.

Dec 5, 2011
Get that thing off ASAP. LOL

Done!! A dremel tool, cold chisel and a hammer took care of that. Just for kicks, I backed up to the trailer ball with the camera tonight and can't believe how easy it was. Hooked up the trailer lights and everything works like they were made for each other.

LR, I finally got a peek at an owner's manual and I was very surprised at how little maintenance is called for on these newer trucks. One of the reasons for picking this one up is the 200K mile power train warranty on it.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
200k miles ? Nice !
Is there a time limit for that ?

The camera is IMO a godsend for hooking up trailers.

Normally I don't see the point of a backup camera for most vehicles. My usual comment is.. "People have been able to operate vehicles for years without backup cameras, automatic parking functions, lane departure warning and automatic braking. Those features just allow people to be, or become, less competent drivers".

But as a friend pointed out to me a while ago... As a tool to view your trailer load while towing, and to hook up a trailer single handed, a camera is fantastic. Especially with tall trailers like a C22. While you can see the sides of the boat with mirrors, you often can't see the top. It's nice to be able to identify something that is loose, before it does any damage.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I never wished for a backup camera once in my life ... "Sounds pretty stupid to me, waste of money". When the salesman told me my new truck came with one, and I was like yawwwwn .... until I started using it. LOL Now I love it.

And yet I agree with you 100% about all the "crutches" being built into vehicles (and everything else!) these days. Darwin deserves a seat at our species' table, IMHO.

I guess the ultimate goal is self-driving cars, which will be cool, I guess ... you could sleep right through your commute!! But until then, I'd like for ME to be in control of my vehicle, not the other way around, thank you very much. :naughty:

Dec 5, 2011
I never wished for a backup camera once in my life ... "Sounds pretty stupid to me, waste of money". When the salesman told me my new truck came with one, and I was like yawwwwn .... until I started using it. LOL Now I love it.

And yet I agree with you 100% about all the "crutches" being built into vehicles (and everything else!) these days. Darwin deserves a seat at our species' table, IMHO.

I guess the ultimate goal is self-driving cars, which will be cool, I guess ... you could sleep right through your commute!! But until then, I'd like for ME to be in control of my vehicle, not the other way around, thank you very much. :naughty:
LR, I would probably void that warranty pretty quick if I were to try and use it at highway speeds to check the top of the boat: it only activates when you go into reverse. Gene: I too believe our "smart" technology is making us stupider as a species. The number of times we have problems at work because someone sits in front of their computer monitor believing the numbers or icons instead of actually ground checking them would blow your mind, then again maybe not. Smart tech also seems to be making us lazier.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Slim: No manual function on the camera ? Too Bad. :(

My buddy has his in the center screen. He was able to get the dealer to set his up so he could manually activate it to see the trailer when towing.

Gene: Self driving cars ? Heaven help us. I enjoy driving too much. Give me a rough gravel back road, and a well handling, powerful car with manual transmission, and no traction control, and I'm enjoying my day. :) I fear you are correct though.
I've spent too many years dealing with tech to fall for the idea that computers and software are infallible.

Jeep, Acura, and now the F150, have all had issues with their automatic braking/adaptive cruise control. And now the NTSB is recommending that it be mandatory on new vehicles.

Then we get vehicle software flaws that can be exploited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/b...-under-the-hood.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

I've never been a fan of things that don't give me full control if needed.
I won't even consider buying a vehicle that doesn't have the ability to turn of traction control. I've worked on a few cars that wouldn't move, due to snow on the ground. The TC system on those cars detected the tiniest amount of wheel wheel spin, and stopped those wheels from turning. We had to push fully functional cars into the the service bay. Suffice to say, they all have studded winter tires installed, during the winter, now.

FWIW, the feeling of freedom and, the enjoyment of controlling the boat, are some of the reasons I love sailing. Give it time. Some idiots will screw that up, in the name of "safety", protecting the incompetent, and preventing personal responsibility.