Fiberglass over spider cracks or caulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Need your advice please. See the pictures below of internal spider cracks from when a tree fell on my Mac 26D.

ForumRunner_20121021_104532.jpg
ForumRunner_20121021_104626.jpg

A guy came to Boston yesterday to buy my boat for $2,400 & backed out because of these spidercracks. Thus I must fix them so it hopefully will sell.

This guy told me to infuse fiberglass into the cracks and then layer fiberglass overtop to give it enough strength to hold people above. Keep in mind the P.O. has already re-fiberglassed the outside for strength.

I was just going to put plumbing caulk in the cracks and then paint over it. Who's right?

Here are some pics of the outside repair job on the other side of these cracks so you can get an idea of what the P.O. did (thanks to whoever recommended this Gliddon Oil-based Door paint because it worked great!)

ForumRunner_20121021_105618.jpg

ForumRunner_20121021_105649.jpg

View attachment 57391

ForumRunner_20121021_105749.jpg

ForumRunner_20121021_105825.jpg

ForumRunner_20121021_105849.jpg

What a difference a little paint makes!!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
The other guy is right. Youtube is your friend. Look up fiberglass repair.
Then bump the price up. Ware do you have it listed?
Did you get another boat?

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
The other guy is right. Youtube is your friend. Look up fiberglass repair.
Then bump the price up. Ware do you have it listed?
Did you get another boat?
Thank you very much for that advice. Looks like I will learn to fiberglass :)
I'm selling this one to buy a MacGregor 19.

I've only listed my boat here: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/3344724201.html
And I was going to list it at MacGregorSailors. Do you recommend a different place to list it?

By the way, if your boat is still for sale, please forward me your listing for it because I want to show it to this guy that passed on my boat. He's looking to pay up to $5,000, would that be a price you'd consider?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Thank you very much for that advice. Looks like I will learn to fiberglass :)
I'm selling this one to buy a MacGregor 19.

I've only listed my boat here: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/3344724201.html
And I was going to list it at MacGregorSailors. Do you recommend a different place to list it?

By the way, if your boat is still for sale, please forward me your listing for it because I want to show it to this guy that passed on my boat. He's looking to pay up to $5,000, would that be a price you'd consider?
Try sailboatlistings.com. I sold my Catalina 18 in 3 days.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Mac I saw your add. You don't talk it up as much as talking it down. Ie; you give a list more things that need repair then a list of how much fun it is....etc.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
This is what I would say:
"For sale is a MacGregor 26D (D=daggerboard) Also called the 26 C (for classic) made in 1988. I'm asking $1900 firm.

This boat is a "Trailer Sailor" meaning it's intended to be able to be stored at home on it's trailer so you save big money on slip fees. The boats comes with a (YEAR, NAME BRAND) trailer in excellent shape (a spare tire included).

The boat uses water as a ballast that is let into the integral tank when the boat is launched and is released as you bring it out of the water. That makes this boat much lighter to tow (about 2,200 pounds) and reduces number of moving parts to worry about.
It sleeps up to 6 adults in the V-birth, two single bunks, and a full sized bed in the aft (back) part of the cabin. In addition, it comes with an enclosed head with a porta potty, a pump sink and an alcohol stove. All cushions are in good (AVERAGE?) condition.(LIST ALL EXTRA EQUIPMENT< NO MATTER HOW SMALL).

A Mercury Mariner 15HP outboard (~1989) is included. The outboard runs well (a small metal bracket holding down the reverse gear needs to be replaced). It is an EXTRA long shaft which is great for this boat. This engine is worth upwards of $700 in it's present used condition (REFERENCE?)

The jib and main sail in fair condition are included, but may have to be replaced soon.

The boat is ready to float with no bottom cracks or holes, but needs some finishing touches, e.g it needs a tabernacle and shrouds (BOTH OR JUST ONE SET??) which are inexpensive and easily obtained from the Blue Water Yachts (phone or internet orders accepted). Some repair to the cabin roof was professionally completed by the previous owner.

The boat is easy to handle and maintain even for the first-time sailors. It is a great first boat that is very forgiving while sailing and a great place for a family to spend their weekends! At this price it will go fast, so don't let it get away!

For more details please call Tim at: 617-710-7368 "

Or something like that. Y'all have at it improving it!

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Piotr said:
This is what I would say:
"For sale is a MacGregor 26D (D=daggerboard) Also called the 26 C (for classic) made in 1988. I'm asking $1900 firm.

This boat is a "Trailer Sailor" meaning it's intended to be able to be stored at home on it's trailer so you save big money on slip fees. The boats comes with a (YEAR, NAME BRAND) trailer in excellent shape (a spare tire included).

The boat uses water as a ballast that is let into the integral tank when the boat is launched and is released as you bring it out of the water. That makes this boat much lighter to tow (about 2,200 pounds) and reduces number of moving parts to worry about.
It sleeps up to 6 adults in the V-birth, two single bunks, and a full sized bed in the aft (back) part of the cabin. In addition, it comes with an enclosed head with a porta potty, a pump sink and an alcohol stove. All cushions are in good (AVERAGE?) condition.(LIST ALL EXTRA EQUIPMENT< NO MATTER HOW SMALL).

A Mercury Mariner 15HP outboard (~1989) is included. The outboard runs well (a small metal bracket holding down the reverse gear needs to be replaced). It is an EXTRA long shaft which is great for this boat. This engine is worth upwards of $700 in it's present used condition (REFERENCE?)

The jib and main sail in fair condition are included, but may have to be replaced soon.

The boat is ready to float with no bottom cracks or holes, but needs some finishing touches, e.g it needs a tabernacle and shrouds (BOTH OR JUST ONE SET??) which are inexpensive and easily obtained from the Blue Water Yachts (phone or internet orders accepted). Some repair to the cabin roof was professionally completed by the previous owner.

The boat is easy to handle and maintain even for the first-time sailors. It is a great first boat that is very forgiving while sailing and a great place for a family to spend their weekends! At this price it will go fast, so don't let it get away!

For more details please call Tim at: 617-710-7368 "

Or something like that. Y'all have at it improving it!
Wow!! You are awesome to re-write my ad like that!!! Thank you very much, I will use what you have written.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
Mac I saw your add. You don't talk it up as much as talking it down. Ie; you give a list more things that need repair then a list of how much fun it is....etc.
Thanks, you are right. In my attempt at being honest I neglected it's pros and only listed the cons.

I will start with what Piotr wrote and see if I can include the fun points.

Finding41, depending on whether you will accept around $5,000 for your boat, i'd like to pass on your boat's ad to this guy Tom if you can private message it to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.