Eventually...

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe
I should have had this old boat on the water by now. Work and no time this last week. 2 headed problem. Get the boat ready. Learn to sail it. Well soon I hope. I did refinish the teak. It looked shot but turned out pretty nice. I have scrubbed and washed and the water ran green. Boat looks better. See more cracks and chips now. I got parts. I got stuff. Still need anchor and marine battery. I think I have most of the big stuff. But the rigging...I wouldn't know sail ready rigging if it bit me. Same with sail condition. But I'm reading up. Just the time thing. Stepped mast. Started out "Hey this isnt so bad." Ended with "Just put the bolt in. Put the d&mn bolt in!" Put boom on. Simple enough. It's got a spot. Aft end just lays there. Found a wire doing nothing. I think it's called a pigtail. It worked. Just trying to check things out. Should boom have play when I twist it? Probably not. Lifted heavy pop top up against mast. Where's the latch thing? No latch. Just a knurled knob the size of a quarter. A stopper or limiter of some kind. Oh well priorities. Head should have a cover board that extends the v birth I believe. I have plywood. Want that mast head fly. Only time I was ever on a sailboat it was my friend. Now how to mount it with that 9 inch light up there. And eventually get to the lake. Pick up experienced sailor. Don't harm anything. Don't sink. Just so lost in this new world. So much information. Nothing terrible. Just lots of little things. This is gonna be fun!

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
Left a message about the pop top lock on your other post. This is the lock for the poptop. 1590027225342.png
You might be referring to the sail track stop that keeps the mainsail slugs from coming out of the mast when you lower the sail. 1590027370802.png

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
There are a bunch of us sailing C-22s up here in Lafayette. We were all going to sail Lake Monroe last weekend, but canceled due to the Covid thing. Planning on coming down next fall....hopefully!

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe
There are a bunch of us sailing C-22s up here in Lafayette. We were all going to sail Lake Monroe last weekend, but canceled due to the Covid thing. Planning on coming down next fall....hopefully!
Thanks Mike. I am grateful for every little piece of info. I'm gonna figure this thing out. It's funny. I grew up in the cornfields and dreamed of sailing since I was a little kid. I'm excited but overwhelmed. Sorry about your plans. This virus. Been wishing for some sunshine for the kids to at least get outside. I work in healthcare. Part of the reason I'm so behind with the boat. Difficult times. Monroe must be ok if you guys make the drive. Again thank you for the info.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
You're going to figure it out and it will all come together, I promise. If you haven't already joined the Facebook group for the C-22, there's a bunch of the same kind of knowledgeable people willing to help you out just like the ones here. I'll bet you can find another boat owner willing to help you out on launch day when it gets here, just keep asking questions, keep posting pictures and keep the dream!