Ericson 26 Outboard/Inboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

I am looking at this 1969 e-26. The transom looks to have been cut to allow the outboard to sit as an I/O. Is this original or a modification? Thanks for your help.

C

Chris

I give up on pic

Sorry, Photo won't take. I give up. Is a cutout an original feature for an older Ericson with an outboard?

Feb 17, 2006
- - Nova Scotia
Cutout

My E25 has a cutout for an outboard motor. It also has a piece that seems to be origonal that fits in the cutout. It's the same thickness as the transom and has metal (aluminum?) pieces running along the edges, inside and out, to hold it in place. My boat travels at hull speed with a 9.9 hp. outboard. I'd be happy to send pictures if they'd be of help. Mark

S

Smiling Dog

I would love to see some pictures!

Mark, I would love to see some photos of the piece you are talking about. My e-mail is chris_gunnell@yahoo.com Thanks. Chris

B

Bob

cutouts

In the late 60s and early 70s it was not unusual to find outboard motors mounted in a well located in the after part of the cockpit, with a fitted "plug" that could be inserted in the well to clean up the bottom profile when desired. Of course this meant lifting the motor out of the well and stowing it somewhere else. It also created an interesting ventilation problem, especially with 2-stroke outboards. Part of their exhaust tended to stay in the well with the result of poorer running of the motor, and motoring downwind could be quite unpleasant with the fumes tending to stay in the cockpit. Some of these well-mounted motors could be raised (cocked up at an angle) but on some of the boats there was not enough clearance to raise the motor and if it was left in place you had to accept the additional drag. So, like any compromise, it solved some problems but created others. No silver bullets...

Status
Not open for further replies.